V6 cam seals

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Powellct
Bongonaut

V6 cam seals

Post by Powellct » Sun May 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Going to post this here rather than the FB page as I feel there's a little more experience here.
I have an 02 V6 with the atypical oily smell coming to a standstill after a run. So, a series of questions if I may - I've looked at the search, and THINK I can piece it together, but my brain wanders on forums.....

1. Is there a definitive sign I can look for to prove it out without removing the front cover? I'm wondering if a leaky cam cover gasket would do the same.
2. If it IS the cam seals, how long would (forget the name of the seal renew stuff Geoff used) last before I had to bite the bullet?
3. Appreciate (as an ex mechanic) all the other gubbins is best changed at the same time - suggestions appear to be around £800 for parts alone, is that still reasonable?
4. Further to the ex mechanic bit - is this something that can done on the drive, and does it need Mazda tools?
5. Are the sprockets keyed to the cams (understand the sprockets are handed) and is the timing by mark or locking cams/crank?

Massive post, I know, but I want this to be a keeper given the price I paid for it - but anteing up another £1800 makes me swallow hard.....

Many thanks
Colin
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: V6 cam seals

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Not sure there will be definite visual signs, without removing the undertray as a minimum, even then it could be fiddly as the oil seeping from the cam seals runs down and along the engine (which is mounted at a slight angle). You might be able to spot the oil smoking from where it drops onto the exhaust manifold at the rear of the engine.

The sealant additive;
original_48_seal_conditioner.png
Lasted quite some time, the cam belt had been changed on import and then we noticed the oil smell around Feb 2012 I used a couple of doses over the next year until it was changed again in Feb 2013. So one tube's worth should last 6 months or so, but might depend on how bad the leak is of course!

As to getting at the seals I left it to the garage and even they mentioned that it was fiddly work even under a lift;
V6_engine.jpg
As too special tools, I doubt that my garage had the specific tools mentioned in the manual for cam belt, tensioners and seals, but being "old school" style mechanics they would have adapted whatever to suit ! They have also changed it once again since then and are currently swapping the entire engine out this coming week as it seized up a couple of weeks ago on me after 13 years (23 since built), however I fear that the two original owners Alan & John may be getting ready for retirement as they now have a new Team in the garage and a new garage name has appeared so I suspect that they are heading out the door to retirement over the next few months/year .....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Powellct
Bongonaut

Post by Powellct » Sun May 23, 2021 5:02 pm

Thanks Geoff - I recall your recent post on your engine seizure, did you get to the bottom of it?

I guess it's a quick undertray off, clean up, and see what happens. I'm loath to bugger about too much as it only had the crank seal and cambelt changed a couple of years ago (before we bought it). That picture is incredibly helpful - do you know if the pink timing marks are Mazda or garage?
I was a little worried after your FB post about clearances in the manual - these are things that can't be guessed, realistically ditto belt tension.
Is it worth drenching the alternator internals in brake cleaner to be on the safe side - you'll have seen I had the flashing hold; my brain (& Google) put two and two together and came up with a shorted diode pack because of an oil leak. Always happens when you're away... Seems fine now though.

I'll run it up on ramps at the end of the season and make a judgement call - after 5 months of ownership not sure I'm willing to say to Mrs P we can't use it....
Powellct
Bongonaut

Post by Powellct » Sun May 23, 2021 5:04 pm

......sorry -
And those sprockets look dowelled on the cams, which is excellent news.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun May 23, 2021 5:28 pm

Not quite sure what sort of solvents are in brake cleaner, but you might want to think carefully about dunking the alternator in it as there will be several types of material that might not like being softened by them!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Sun May 23, 2021 10:05 pm

g8dhe wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:28 pm Not quite sure what sort of solvents are in brake cleaner, but you might want to think carefully about dunking the alternator in it as there will be several types of material that might not like being softened by them!
I think it's usually acetone and some other stuff. Evaporates rapidly.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon May 24, 2021 4:13 pm

If in doubt I would not use it , its what nail polish remover is made from :shock:

would it not be possible to give it a blast with switch cleaner.

Return to “Techie Stuff”