Purchasing Advice - Hold Light Flashing

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

AndyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Purchasing Advice - Hold Light Flashing

Post by AndyBongo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:38 pm

I'm looking at a local Bongo, 1997 2.5D Automatic 4WD.
It seems to drive fine and not being restricted to 'Limp Mode' however the Hold Light is flashing.
As its not in limp mode can I assume that this is maybe an electrical connection fault? I believe it might also be a fault with the device fitted to convert KM's into MPH.
Would you advise just walking away from the purchase, but then any future vehicle bought could develop the fault, or buy it at a cheaper price and attempt to problem solve it.
Any advice greatly appreciated. This will be my first Bongo 😁😁
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Purchasing Advice - Hold Light Flashing

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:13 pm

THe flashing hold light merely is the Transmission Control Module part of the ECU saying it has an error report, what the error is needs to be read out from the diagnostic connector, it can be a simple problem to a rather more complex one, but without reading out the actual error code itself then all you know is its reporting something!
This site gives you advice on reading the error codes http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
there is also a Factsheet in the members area with more info https://igmaynard.co.uk/download/diagnostics.pdf you need to be a club member to access from the Members Area.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
AndyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AndyBongo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:03 pm

All looks good, I'll give it a try. Only thing is what's the led mentioned? Is this on the vehicle, or one I've to put together on wire connection?
AndyBongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AndyBongo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:59 pm

I've read elsewhere that connecting TAT & GND is required, but you can then read the code from the flashing of the Hold Light, and no need to put an LED connection across B+ & FAT pins. Is this correct?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:46 am

It depends on the age of the vehicle/ECU later versions flashed the Hold light with the error count so don't need the extra LED connected to see the flashes.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:24 pm

AndyBongo wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:38 pm I'm looking at a local Bongo, 1997 2.5D Automatic 4WD.
It seems to drive fine and not being restricted to 'Limp Mode' however the Hold Light is flashing.
As its not in limp mode can I assume that this is maybe an electrical connection fault? I believe it might also be a fault with the device fitted to convert KM's into MPH.
Would you advise just walking away from the purchase, but then any future vehicle bought could develop the fault, or buy it at a cheaper price and attempt to problem solve it.
Any advice greatly appreciated. This will be my first Bongo 😁😁

So true , but normally you dont buy the vehicle with the faults already there, its cheaper waiting for them to occur ,if ever.

Return to “Techie Stuff”