ABS FUSES REMOVED

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Johnc
Apprentice Bongonaut

ABS FUSES REMOVED

Post by Johnc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:11 am

HI, Just purchased my first bongo, sorted out some minor electrical issues which were caused by some fairly dodgy previous owner work.the final job is the ABS light, switch on ignition light comes on,start van light goes out,all good so far, as soon as van moves off light comes on and stays on until ignition is cycled again.
I assumed a sensor and checked the 2 front ones both tested to 1600 ohms , it was then I noticed that both abs fuses were missing. With the previous suspect wiring repairs I am loath to just put fuses in.
Why would you remove the fuses?,as I understand one fuse runs the solenoids and the other the pump.
Additionally the previous owner had the mot done three weeks ago , so either the tester assumed the abs was working by the light going out on ignition or it wasn't a particular thorough mot.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: ABS FUSES REMOVED

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:06 am

There are three fuses, use the "By fuse problem" tab ( http://www.g8dhe.net/bwm/ ) and select the two ABS choices, Pump, Solenoids & Controller, the controller fuse is on the main engine feed and hence why the ABS lamp comes on and goes off at the start as it simply does an internal self-test and can see the sensors, however if the sensors aren't sending the correct signals in relation to speed the fault light will come on again when moving.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Johnc
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Johnc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Thanks for the reply, I checked the link you gave me and the two fuses in the engine bay relating to the abs are the ones missing, reading your replies to other people on abs issues, I assume it can see all four sensors but when the wheels turn one or more are not giving a correct signal/voltage. So jack up and spin wheels with a dvm connected should narrow it down, but why would someone remove the fuses, I again assume that once the light is triggered the pump and solenoids would not operate anyway?.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:31 pm

Spinning the wheels maybe sufficient but it also needs to see the phase of the pulses in relation to the others over a rotation, as the ABS will release the brake for the individual wheel by watching for pulses to start drifting away from each other. The fault of course could also be in the electronics that watch for the phase change, which it can't check during the self-test as your not actually moving, that might explain why the other two fuses were removed as removing the engine circuit fuse will kill the engine as well as the ABS!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”