Remote Central Locking "Rattling" Noise

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cuchillo
Bongolier

Remote Central Locking "Rattling" Noise

Post by cuchillo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:59 pm

Hello All :)

Got an issue with my remote central locking. Pressing the buttons on the fob no longer engages nor disengages the lock. However, the signal is getting through to the receiver as I hear a rattling or a toy machinegun type noise when either of the buttons is pressed. :shock:

I did take off the door card to have a look and it seems like the issue is with the locking unit that is screwed into the driver side door. I can feel it vibrate when the fob is pressed.

The key does active the central locking and locks all the doors when used on the driver side. (Other doors only lock themselves when the key is used in their lock)

Any ideas as to what has caused this or what I can do to fix it without having to remove the driver's side lock. Worried that if I mess it up I will not be able to lock the door at all! #-o

Many thanks! :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Remote Central Locking "Rattling" Noise

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:43 pm

Sounds like the solenoid/motor has has failed often there is a little plastic worm gear inside that has become damaged;
See here the unit may not look the same but they tend to all have a similar internal construction;
http://www.g8dhe.net/bongo_images/Slidi ... placement/
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cuchillo
Bongolier

Post by cuchillo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Hi Geoff

Many thanks for that. So open heart surgery then? :shock: Or is it a hip replacement? :lol:

Are there any instructions with pictures on how to get the unit out? Do I need to remove the whole locking unit from the door to get to it?

TIA :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:02 pm

Difficult to say as so many of the solenoids in the drivers door will be after-market ones, take the inner cover off and have a look it will normally be placed behind the metal on the training edge of the door beneath the lock.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cuchillo
Bongolier

Post by cuchillo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:54 pm

Thanks again Geoff,

Once the weather gets warmer, and I become braver, I'll have another rummage. :D
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:19 am

Mine does the same, according to spares place there are two typres - a 3 and a 4 wire type. Not got around to taking the door card off. Next year job as too cold now.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.

Return to “Techie Stuff”