Cornwall/Devon Bongo Dealers

Moderator: Doone

bongolou
Bongolier

Cornwall/Devon Bongo Dealers

Post by bongolou » Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 am

Hi everyone,

Any info on local dealers of bongos that you can recommend in the Devon/Cornwall area would be great i am finally in a position to buy a bongo and want to make the right choice. Or would you recommend buying from someone up country i have heard good reviews of jalimports on here. Any info on bongoing in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Cant wait to join the club ;-)
2002 Bongo V6 Petrol AFT Sunlight Silver Metallic with YKK awning.
the janner vanner
Supreme Being

Re: Cornwall/Devon Bongo Dealers

Post by the janner vanner » Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Hi, I've been told that Topsham Car sales are very good, I've been told by many Bongo owners who have bought from them, have had nothing but praise for them.

As for the best mechanic, you can't be Allan of Allans Vehicle Services who has a garage between Plympton and Plymstock.

Off course there is the for sale pages on this forum. There ha been some great deal over the years. I recommend that you look to see if the Bongo has a water sensor alarm fitted. If not get one as soon as possible. I've had my Bongo coming up for 8 years now and the secret of trouble free motoring is service, service, service.

Good luck in your search, it took me 3 months before I found that right one.

Dave
The Janner Vanner
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Wed May 08, 2013 8:32 pm

That's very helpful I had stopped at Allans in Plymouth for servicing.
And had emailed topsham twice over last few minds no reply. Any info on the dealer that's advertised on here near Newquay?
I plan to service lots as this is going to be a keeper and want to look after it.
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 pm

I had a look at bongo's at newquay, very nice but pricey, got mine from" buy a camper " in devon.
being a philosopher, i have a problem for every solution.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed May 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Topsham Car Sales have got several storage yards full of Bongos so you certainly won't be stuck for choice.
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 am

Just been chatting to Topsham very helpful hoping to go there tomorrow to look they recommended buying a auto free top over having a after market top totally opposite to what the Cornwall place said they told me you can't get bits for the aft if they go wrong is this correc? My main worry with the aft is parking as I intend to use as my only car but was told the aftermarket roof isn't as much of a problem.
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 11:52 am

Heres a few pointers to help you

AFT - sturdy build and very reliable/robust - however if they do go wrong in can be pricey, but there is a lot of info on the forum and factsheets about diy repairs etc

After market roof - pro manual so no working parts to go wrong - cons.....most converters remove the rear air con unit [-X , and if like us you have passengers then they can cook in warmer weather! Also the roofs are heavy - I got caught out and 'tw@tted' on the noggin when I dropped ours once - fortunately I was moving down at the same time and it only hurt a bit!!!

Out of preference go for the youngest AFT you can and wait to convert. We pondered for about 4 months before deciding on the right conversion to suit us..........glad we did it - as advised on the forum. Also the AFT handles better (suspension setup) than a bongo with an after market roof. When we picked our AFT up we immediately noticed how much better it handled opposed to our previous bongo fitted with an after market roof!

Finally unless you don't mid going slow avoid the 2.0 litre engine - after chatting to 2.0 litre owners at meets - its vastly underpowered to meet the bongos' needs........just my opinion and I know that some others are happy with that engine.

Good luck
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu May 09, 2013 3:50 pm

they told me you can't get bits for the aft if they go wrong is this correct?
Hello bongolou :) No that's not correct. You can get bits for the AFT roof if they go wrong - and they don't often go wrong. :)
Personally I prefer either a 2.5 diesel or a V6 petrol engine, rather than a 2.0 engine, in a Bongo.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Thu May 09, 2013 4:23 pm

Thank you very much that's very helpful do you find that parking restrictions are a huge problem with the aft as I intend to drive as my only car but def want aft for camping etc choices choices but having heard bad things about after market roofs that bend etc I'm thinking a aft is the best way
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 7:06 pm

When looking for a bongo - defo always go for an aft

I've never heard of an after market roof 'bending' or owt like that though!

I use Olive as my full time vehicle to commute to work etc - there are a few carparks locally that have a 1.9m height restriction - however there are also plenty of car parks that fit the bongo in height wise! min of 2.3m (aft is 2.1m)

I just avoid mulit-storey car parks like the plague - even in our little skoda - hate them.

There are some cracking bongo's out there - if you find a private one near a good bongo savvy garage, it's worth approaching them to see if they will inspect for you - probably cost you a fee. If the bongo is sound brilliant, if it's a heap then think of the money very well spent with no garage misery to pay for. Also if the bongo is coming from a good home the seller won't have a problems with it being inspected. No point paying the aa or rac to do it unless they know bongos, which is remote!

Also if the bongo getting inspected does require some tlc you could use that to bargin with aswell!

Enjoy the search and good luck
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 pm

That's very very helpful I love this forum so helpful and informative I appreciate it very much think I will buy a fresh import and think aft is the way to go over the aftermarket roof and just manage the height thing with parking is great to know there is a fab bongo mechanic in Plymouth which is very close for me so that's reassuring as before I was lost to who would maintain it if I brought one.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu May 09, 2013 9:08 pm

there is a fab bongo mechanic in Plymouth
There certainly is ;)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
DILLIGAF
Bongolier

Post by DILLIGAF » Fri May 10, 2013 8:05 pm

re speed; how fast do you want to go ? iv'e got a 2ltr and can cruise all day at 70, and it's quick off the mark at traffic lights, if you want more speed than that your in the wrong motor.
being a philosopher, i have a problem for every solution.
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Fri May 10, 2013 10:53 pm

It's not about speed as a bongo is never a stored machine but it's more about the pulling power really from what I gather and from driving both the v6 and 2.0 now I've noticed the v6 doesn't struggle up hill as much as I worry if loaded up it would struggle even more maybe I'm wrong???
bongolou
Bongolier

Post by bongolou » Sat May 11, 2013 12:16 am

From driving the 2.0 today was initially surprised it pulled well nippy but hit a hill, not a big one either and noticeable struggling. I don't think the bongo is ever a car for speed of it was is want a manual not Auto. But being used to a vw Audi TDI the v6 had more torque and if I ever need to pull something I can been told by more than one that mpg is very similar between the two?

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”