Curtains Rails for the side windows

Moderator: Doone

Taddicampers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Curtains Rails for the side windows

Post by Taddicampers » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:32 pm

Seriously thinking about the net curtain wire option as feel this will be the easiest and will not have to screw too much into the fabric if the Bongo. Going to buy some hooks and wire tomorrow and have a trial run! Has anyone else tried this option? Apparently you can buy stick on hooks for wire to fix too so this will mean even less marks in the Bongo, hopefully. Let you know how it goes, fingers crossed!
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:39 pm

Think the stick on hooks are for use with the net curtain rods not cable
The rods might be a better option for you less saggy
But think the stick on hooks would fall off in heat , so just put a short self tapping screw through hook base into bongo
It will be painless
These are the net curtain rods I'd your not familiar
On eblay not the cheapest just a option I found so search for cheaper ones
Eblay item number 310233840470
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Gasy wrote:Think the stick on hooks are for use with the net curtain rods not cable
The rods might be a better option for you less saggy
But think the stick on hooks would fall off in heat , so just put a short self tapping screw through hook base into bongo
It will be painless
These are the net curtain rods I'd your not familiar
On eblay not the cheapest just a option I found so search for cheaper ones
Eblay item number 310233840470
Net curtain wire is cheap as chips and provided the run is not too long and they are tensioned a little I haven't found sagging to be an issue. Agree about anything stick on anything - the adhesive always tends to give out over time and/or with heat inside the vehicle. Sadly I think screw in hooks are the only option though it might be possible to test the principle with stick ons to see if it all looks as you want it before taking the plunge and putting holes in the plastic trim.
Taddicampers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Taddicampers » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:54 am

Going to buy wire and fixings this morning, will let you know how it goes!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:25 am

Taddicampers wrote:Going to buy wire and fixings this morning, will let you know how it goes!
Good luck. Try not to drill holes until you think the idea will work and look neat. What works for a rear window may be trickier with the more complex business of side windows, one of which is in the sliding door. But at least trying it out should be cheap. Keep us posted.
Taddicampers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Taddicampers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:56 pm

We have spent some time over the weekend positioning stick on hooks for curtain wires to hang on and so far they are staying stuck. I have had a trial run by hanging an old curtain valance on the wire (curtains not made yet) and this seems OK.so far have found the back left hand window to most challenging as lots of contours on plastic trim which hooks didn't like sticking to. Will update again when we try to finish the hook sticking and wire tensioning one evening this week!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Taddicampers wrote:We have spent some time over the weekend positioning stick on hooks for curtain wires to hang on and so far they are staying stuck. I have had a trial run by hanging an old curtain valance on the wire (curtains not made yet) and this seems OK.so far have found the back left hand window to most challenging as lots of contours on plastic trim which hooks didn't like sticking to. Will update again when we try to finish the hook sticking and wire tensioning one evening this week!
Good luck. Presumably when/if you've decided it is OK as an idea, you'll get rid of the stick on hooks and use something that screws into the plastic? I can't imagine the stick on hooks staying stuck for any length of time, esp once the interior experiences a hot day. And I can see that with the side windows, if the curtain wire can't be kept a constant distance from the trim then it could look like a cheap solution, and you don't want that. As ever, don't screw anything until you know you like the look of it :shock: :oops: :lol:
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Once your happy
I'd just put a self tapping screw or rivet thro stick on clip into bongo trim
Hole could be remarked with some grey filler if removed
And you now the curtains will decide to fall down at the most convenient time
When someone's on the loo or getting changed
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.

Return to “Devon & Cornwall/Kernow”