Newbie in Bristol

Moderators: Bob, westonwarrior

dhand62362

Newbie in Bristol

Post by dhand62362 » Thu May 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Guys,

I finally have approval from the wife to purchase our first Bongo, can anyone tell me any decent dealers and servicing garages in the Bristol area that you use ?

I'll look at jalimports as an importer as people have left good reviews, any advice would be useful.

many thanks
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Re: Newbie in Bristol

Post by bongodonkey » Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 pm

JAL do bring good vehicles into the UK.

The best advice is to try and get to a meet to look at the huge variety of different fits available for conversion.

This way you can make a more informed idea of the best suited conversion to you and your family.

hope this helps

Oz
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
dhand62362

Post by dhand62362 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:02 pm

I don't need a conversion doing just a nice base vehicle for a second car and a surf van for day trips to the beach.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 pm

dhand62362 wrote:I don't need a conversion doing just a nice base vehicle for a second car and a surf van for day trips to the beach.
I have an unconverted tintop and I always regretted not going for an AFT. I go surfing and it's a pain getting changed in a tintop when you're all sticky from the sea! Manageable, but if you're planning to get dressed inside, my advice would be to consider a raising roof so you can stand up properly!

Oh, and welcome 8)
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Griffin
Bongolier

Post by Griffin » Fri May 20, 2011 11:44 am

Well done, I had similar 'negotiations' some years ago :D

I bought my Bongo from an importer who had the vehicle sorted and serviced by ADS Auto, I've used them ever since for repairs and servicing, really helpful guys and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. They're at 200 South Liberty Lane, Bristol BS3 2TY - 0117 963 5999, I've seen the occasional Bongo for sale there too.

The only other 'localish' place I know that's been around a while is Bell Hill Motors in Norton St Philip (south of Bath) - I've been to see them for some body work I was thinking of having done but didn't use them in the end. There reputation is good as far as I can see from previous posts but I got the impression they had so much work they could pick and choose and name their price. They do definitely sell Bongos though.

Also noticed a place in Yate that looked to have about 6 Bongos recently but I don't know anything about them, I'd always assumed that it was a travelers site rather than a place to buy vehicles from although there are always bigger Motorhomes there. If you just want a nosey around then it may be worth a look.

Tintops look cooler in my opinion (better ratio of height to width) but the AFT makes the vehicle so versatile I don't think it makes sense not to get one. Definitely better for getting changed in with the roof up and you can have the kettle on for a brew whilst you do that by putting it in the roof above the front seats. If you decide to stop the night you also have the option of sleeping up there. Only downside it watching the height in multi story carparks.

Next decision is seating styles, kind of depends what you want, mine is 97 so old shape with a slight facelift (no orange strip across the back and a few other minor cosmetic changes). Before 97 the rear set of seats flip up out of the way, 97 onwards they are usually sliding bench seats. I chose to buy a model with 2 x bench seats but to be honest I think the flip up ones may have been a better bet (I'd like to have built a small camper unit and removed one of the flip up seats, facilities and 6 seats would be great. More tricky with bench seats although they do slide back and forth so if you are after that vintage, it's worth working out what you want. New models only come with bench seats (as far as I know) and it's not easy to change them.
If it's just you (or 2 of you) then I'd suggest bench seats but take out an entire row - loads more space and the remaining seats will slide right to the front for loading up or right to the back for maximum 'living space'.

I've tinkered with mine inside a bit and used it as a surf van, family camper (there are 4 of us), daily car, some pics to give you ideas (most of this is still really prototype that I never got around to making better):

Home made 'picnic' cupboard - hold essentials. Note only one bench seat (with home made drawers), the other was cluttering up the garage at the time.

Brackets secured to roof holes which I use for straps to fasten the board straight onto the roof. The bikes are on a BakRak (I dont use that for bikes anymore, I now use a Maxxx Raxx which is easier) but it was really useful for other stuff. I had a 'cushion box' from B&Q on it at one stage and it was great to hold chairs and wetsuits etc. Others have done the same so suspect a search will find some pics.

Home made roof rack ( a bit heavy as steel but does the job) - mainly used for relatively lightweight camping gear (chairs, boogie boards etc).

Currently I have all seats in but the middle ones reversed so they are facing each other. No pics of that but you'll find some on the forum as quite a popular thing to do. For a day van, just doing this and adding a table makes a cool place to chill and doesn't take long.

Hope that's useful, quite a few in and around Bristol area , don't forget to wave :D Good luck searching.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 am

Another vote for ADS. They know their stuff and are always helpful.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
icdneil
Junior Bongonaut

Post by icdneil » Fri May 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Yep ADS Are really good, Highly recommended!
Sar N Ade
Bongolier

Post by Sar N Ade » Sat May 21, 2011 8:19 pm

I also found ADS knowledgeable and helpful.

Griffin - I know where you mean and I think it is just a storage place too. They sometimes have bits of fairground ride there.

I actually take the Freda to a 'normal' garage for MOTs. I would probably go back to ADS for anything complicated but it is a long way for me for every day issues.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu May 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Ours came from JAL and we now use ADS for servicing as they're near to us. Happy with both.

As said, if you are looking for max room in the back I'd recomend the split rear seats for versatility, although you could remove the rear bench if you don't need it. Folding the splitties is a few seconds and gives 8 seats if you need them.

Well worth coming to a Meet to see what can be done with no 'Sales Pitch'.

And a very warm welcome. :D

Return to “Rest of the West”