Highest Pub in Scotland, 11th-12th March 2017

If you are going away somewhere and don't mind meeting up with other Bongo owners or if you've been somewhere & want to tell us about it & stick up your photos, put the details here.

Moderator: Jillygumbo

kentait
Bongonaut

Re: Highest Pub in Scotland, 11th-12th March 2017

Post by kentait » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:37 pm

unfortunately won't make this one, as bongo still in repair shop.
regards, ken & marilyn
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:51 am

For everyone who's still coming to this and planning to visit the lead mining museum, I've told t hem we'll be there around 2pm Saturday, if we're late it's not a problem, they'll be there from 2 and wait for us, remember they're not officially open but are opening just for us.

As a group booking they're keeping the prices as last year which is £7.20 per adult (it's now £9.50 if you look at their website) and the usual discounts for concessions apply. The visit includes the museum, the miners cottages and one of the original lead mines - hardhats provided! There is also a gold panning option for an additional £3.10 but I've not committed us to that unless people really want to do it.
perros huevos
Bongolier

Post by perros huevos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Would have come to this but our van is booked in for some warranty work only been waiting since may 2015. My mate is touring Scotland at the moment he is in Ullapool done 750 mile up to now hope you all have a good un and the weather is kind
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:55 pm

Weather forecast sounds ok and i'd have loved to come but just too busy (and needing to flop at the weekend tbh, Trish likewise). Hope it all goes well. I'm hoping retirement and less busyness will increase my energy for Bongo outings though weekends will remain Tricky i suspect.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:24 am

Yes, the weather doesn't look to be too bad, not perfect by any means but not too cold and no snow or ice etc so a reasonable prospect.

I'm not sure what reception we're going to get at the Inn, when I contacted them in November they were all for it, perhaps they still are but now I can't get hold of them and they're not responding to mails - so we might all be staying at Lettershaws Farm after all :twisted:
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:25 pm

There's also this place up the road in Leadhills.
http://www.hopetounarms.co.uk/
Its shown as camper friendly on here but only shows five places, might be worth a try if we're stuck though.
https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/
Do we know how many are coming?
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:29 pm

No idea on numbers really because it's been put up on several FaceBook pages too, which are closed groups so I can't see who has expressed interest.

Nevertheless, it should be a good laugh and I'd recommend approaching from the west to take in the scenery rather than staying on the M74 :wink:
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 pm

I will be coming across to Moffat on the A708. Then taking the B7076 up north if this road is in reasonable state of repair. It is a long time since I last took the old A74 (B7076) up to Glasgow. If there are not too many potholes it should be a leisurely part of the trip with little traffic on this section. Don't expect too many people to be at Wanlockhead as none of the Scottish members have definitely confirmed to date, same on Facebook. Mulshy tells me that he is going to be doing a bit of Munro bagging further north.
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Diane
Bongolier

Post by Diane » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I reckon there'll be around five coming from the Yorkshire FB group. See you at the museum :D

Cheers Di
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Five vans or five peeps?

Looking at the forecast now, it's going to be foggy so no point trying to do the scenic route!
Diane
Bongolier

Post by Diane » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Five vans or five peeps?

Looking at the forecast now, it's going to be foggy so no point trying to do the scenic route!

Five vans- not sure how many in each :?:
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Yes, the weather doesn't look to be too bad, not perfect by any means but not too cold and no snow or ice etc so a reasonable prospect.

I'm not sure what reception we're going to get at the Inn, when I contacted them in November they were all for it, perhaps they still are but now I can't get hold of them and they're not responding to mails - so we might all be staying at Lettershaws Farm after all :twisted:
I spoke to a lady in the pub early in the week to ask about the possibility of a Friday night stopover, mentioned a few bongos coming on Saturday she seemed a bit vague about a the whole thing, so I decided not to bother, however I may pop down in the car tomorrow for a day visit, as I've things on early Sunday and don't want to risk drinking on Saturday night.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:04 am

Given not many pub owners are getting rich I do dispair at how a lot run their businesses. :roll:

Golden Swan last week I tried to get a pint at 21.45, called out twice, (you all know I'm a silent, shy, type).

Sat back down and asked the guys to say if they spotted the landlord, waited 15 mins and went back to the caravan for a night cap. [-X
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 am

Well our fears were unfounded, the staff at the pub are so laid back they almost fall over. No bother at all, park where you want, food orders until 8pm, bar until 1am, sorted!

The lead mining tour was really informative, the mine itself was fascinating as were the old cottages and the subscription library. Thanks to the staff there for agreeing to open up just for us.

A few pics:

Wanlockhead Inn

Weather could have been better, but could also have been a lot worse

Into old lead mines...

Somehow I don't think the original workers had to wear hard-hats...

'elf & safety briefing :roll:

Local wildlife oblivious of our presence

The ruin of Sanquhar castle for those who headed west instead of the easy way back to the M74 :wink:

Sanquhar post office - the oldest post office in the world - in continuous use since 1712 8)

Finally a slight detour to the world's finest fish & chip emporium on the way home, it would be rude not to!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:37 am

Looks like a great Meet.

Thanks for,posting pics, Muzz. :D

Return to “Fancy Meeting up & Bongo Trips”