France speed cameras

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

briwy
Supreme Being

France speed cameras

Post by briwy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:15 am

Just a word of warning. The French are bringing in around three hundred new mobile cameras to be used on The Routes Nationales.
These will be in unmarked cars and are capable of checking speeds in both directions.
Presumably they will operate in the usual French manner with a plod on a motorbike further down the road to stop offenders.
The French are getting very keen now on speed offenders and we have seen cameras out at two in the morning in complete darkness.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: France speed cameras

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:44 pm

If you have a restless right foot then I suggest that you take your holidays in the Isle of Man rather than in France. No speed limits outside the built up areas in the Isle of Man. When I was there a motorbike shot past me doing around 100mph on the country road used as the TT course, this did not faze the locals. You will have a much cheaper holiday with no on the spot fines to pay. :D

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 am

Only problem is Tony its cheaper to get to France :D :D
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 pm

But more expensive to stay there if you are going to be fined a bundle every few miles. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Stick to the N roads, take your time and enjoy the journey. Why rush?
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:08 pm

If you want to rush
I agree IOM
a wonderful place but never cheap to get there.
Difficult to rush in a Bongo
speed without the grinability factor
Ruben122
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ruben122 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:57 pm

I will also tell you that you will never feel comfortable having been pulled over by the French police. I guarantee that those lot know English but refuse to speak it to you – just ‘another foreigner’ that they have managed to pull over. I spent more than an hour on the side of the road!
Ever buy cheap tyres online from Tyre Shopper?
gasace
Bongolier

Post by gasace » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:53 pm

I have a trick so as not to get caught. I keep to the speed limits, this has the added bonus of really pissing off people behind :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi
Ah, yes...ze old language barrier....same over here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...If you speak the lingo (which we do), the locals pretend not to understand....it means that they might have to work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...but on the other hand, when stopped , we pretend WE don't understand, and they just CAN'T be bothered to follow the rules and get a translator....that means paperwork!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 pm

If you obey the rules in Frog land and speak German to them.... they are fine.... yes German... they are so messed up and instead of hearing "Rost Beef" talking loudly to them they don't bother you... and off you go.. :wink:

Seriously.... don't be an arse... don't speed and all will be well.... any Le Mans folks.... that includes you... especially those with quick machines on the A28
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:57 pm

Ruben122 wrote: I guarantee that those lot know English
Probably about as many as ours speak French :wink: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:48 am

Hi
I've not had any problems with the French Police....in fact I've found them very helpful!....we were having a spot of bother with the toll barrier over change, and a copper came over, showed us to the side of the road, and gave the toll-booth attendant a jolly old earful....and said that we should give them a cheque to pay :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Another saga one year was when Tony went to get some cash , and we parked the caravan and Bongo up....well...he couldn't find us....and as I was a bit awkwardly parked, I moved the outfit....left the dogs in the Bongo, and walked off....The upshot was the police, the local postmen and everyone was helping to find us...now you wouldn't find such congenial behaviour in the UK....VERY highly impressed....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 am

Usual French bluff. I have no idea what other two possible police orgs might be same competitive as British and French onces. (of course, I'm not reading formal articles but watching myself with popcorn that ever pushing-over behaviour British and French authorities demonstrate to happy public...)

Getting back to my words. Proof for this summer: yet another travel to South-France, about 15hrs of continuous roads each way. Number of flashes: twice. French low-tolerance makes it very easy to catch unawareness of cameras in exchange of awareness of the road. Consequences: naah. Maybe, if I flew through by 100mph, then someone would really take some action but for such silly margins like 110-118kmh that UK would accept in a blink, I rightfully expected that no one will give any monkey. After all, if for any such F->UK attempt of fining, the defendant will start enquiring correctness of camera's settings, etc (of course, all while sitting in the UK), then it's likely 100% of such cases will become just legally unenforceable in terms of UK jurisdiction, thus utterly anti-economic for French authorities. Of course, they're smart enough to follow the same logic themselves.
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am

And yes, talking about mobile squads, and reading people's reports on being caught, they're really after 100mph-ers not after 5-10kmh "marginers". So why to bother about Bongo? :-)
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:57 pm

jone_it wrote:And yes, talking about mobile squads, and reading people's reports on being caught, they're really after 100mph-ers not after 5-10kmh "marginers". So why to bother about Bongo? :-)
Sorry to disagree but thats rubbish. On the french autoroutes now very few people are speeding and thats because the police will nick anyone that is only slightly over the limit.

Return to “Going Abroad”