Long Trip Planned - what spares to bring?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Alkers
Bongolier

Long Trip Planned - what spares to bring?

Post by Alkers » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:17 pm

We're in the ROI and planning a trip over to France in June to go to the Euros.
In total it's about 2,500km of driving over 8 or 9 days.
I've only had my bongo a few months, have done a simple oil change but nothing else yet. I'll change the timing belt, tensioner and spring before I go and it will be due a service beforehand. Other than that, what spares would you bring with you for such a trip? There'll be either 4 or 6 of us so should be able to fit some with me!
cmm303
Supreme Being

Re: Long Trip Planned - what spares to bring?

Post by cmm303 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Personally I'd err on prevention rather than recovery. I would check carefully your cooling system, rubber hoses and metal pipes. Check for smallest signs of fuel pump leak and all the usual rubber boots etc. I'd also get some good trips done beforehand. Belts are cheap to replace and putting them on saves carrying them inside! Fit LCA if not already got one.

I am preparing for a long tour this spring and know that my Bongo runs slightly warmer than most so I'm renovating the cooling system but the parts alone are a substantial outlay.

This link is a humorous read!
Fuse for AFT
Chord for emergency lowering of AFT
Coolant bleed kit and instructions in French (they are on here somewhere)
Fury membership card and phone number :D
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:36 pm

cmm303 wrote:Fury membership card and phone number :D
As long as you have this, we can ship anywhere in France on a 48 hour delivery schedule.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:05 pm

Get yourself decent European breakdown cover but that can be tricky if vehicle is over 16 years old. I had to call for assistance while in Poland & it would have been a nightmare if I had no cover & needed to get the van back to the UK. Fortunately it was a simple fix but I would not go anywhere abroad without it.
Glenda
Bongolier

Post by Glenda » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Get yourself decent European breakdown cover but that can be tricky if vehicle is over 16 years old. I had to call for assistance while in Poland & it would have been a nightmare if I had no cover & needed to get the van back to the UK. Fortunately it was a simple fix but I would not go anywhere abroad without it.
Britannia go over 16 years. Got someone to the middle of nowhere in Iceland within an hour or so after I left the lights on all night and drained the battery.

Return to “Going Abroad”