Definition of a "Camping Unit"

Stuff about the website, the forum and club administration.

Moderator: Ian

Ian
Supreme Being

Definition of a "Camping Unit"

Post by Ian » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 am

At this year's AGM there was a discussion about what constitutes a "Camping Unit" at our meetings. The discussion arose because some people felt it was unfair to charge a solitary Bongo owner the same price per night as a Bongo towing a caravan with multiple occupants.

It was also noticeable that at this year's Bongo Bash there was a sharp increase in the number of additional cars parked next to Bongos. Although we have no objection to visits, or even overnight stays, by family and friends, this is becoming increasingly difficult to monitor.

So here a few proposals. If accepted they will apply to next year's Bongo Bash, but not to other meetings where local site rules apply.

1. At the Bongo Bash a charge is made per pitch per night. A pitch or "camping unit" shall be defined as a Bongo plus a caravan (if owned), together with a maximum of one tent or awning or gazebo, a maximum of 2 adults (aged 16 plus), and up to 3 children (aged 4 to 15). Infants aged 3 or under are not included in these restrictions.
2. On entry to the Bash everyone in the party will be issued with a wrist band which must be worn for the duration of the stay.
3. Additional vehicles will be charged at £4 per night.
4. Additional adults & children will be charged at £2 per night.
5. Additional tents, awnings or gazebos will be charged the full nightly pitch rate.

What do people reckon?
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Definition of a "Camping Unit"

Post by g8dhe » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:47 am

Not sure about the wearing of the wristbands, given that its on a public footpath along the river and down the western side ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Sounds very fair to me.

Classic example of a small number of people taking the wotsit. :roll:
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:11 pm

Sounds fair to me Ian.

Mainly the people wanting to use the Public footpath, not with the Bongo Bash, were fishermen, and they were pretty obvious due to the fishing equipment, so wristbands should be workable.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:18 pm

I'd agree with that, Marion, plus a few walkers who just pass along close to the river, not really in the camping area.
boyfrombrasil
Bongolier

Post by boyfrombrasil » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Ian wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 am At this year's AGM there was a discussion about what constitutes a "Camping Unit" at our meetings. The discussion arose because some people felt it was unfair to charge a solitary Bongo owner the same price per night as a Bongo towing a caravan with multiple occupants.

It was also noticeable that at this year's Bongo Bash there was a sharp increase in the number of additional cars parked next to Bongos. Although we have no objection to visits, or even overnight stays, by family and friends, this is becoming increasingly difficult to monitor.

So here a few proposals. If accepted they will apply to next year's Bongo Bash, but not to other meetings where local site rules apply.

1. At the Bongo Bash a charge is made per pitch per night. A pitch or "camping unit" shall be defined as a Bongo plus a caravan (if owned), together with a maximum of one tent or awning or gazebo, a maximum of 2 adults (aged 16 plus), and up to 3 children (aged 4 to 15). Infants aged 3 or under are not included in these restrictions.
2. On entry to the Bash everyone in the party will be issued with a wrist band which must be worn for the duration of the stay.
3. Additional vehicles will be charged at £4 per night.
4. Additional adults & children will be charged at £2 per night.
5. Additional tents, awnings or gazebos will be charged the full nightly pitch rate.

What do people reckon?
Just saw this as I don't normally peruse every section of the forum. I imagine this is also the same for a large proportion of visitors to this forum.

A few points from me:

" a sharp increase in the number of additional cars parked next to Bongos...." - Given that comment please define a vehicle as in proposal 3. Think I know where you are coming from here...

"5. Additional tents, awnings or gazebos will be charged the full nightly pitch rate." - Does that mean the end of awnings which are put out as general meeting points such as my Coleman Event shelter? Also, given that you say that the discussion "arose because some people felt it was unfair to charge a solitary Bongo owner the same price per night as a Bongo towing a caravan with multiple occupants" then unenclosed gazebo's and awnings do not constitute additional sleeping accommodation.

" A pitch or "camping unit" shall be defined as a Bongo plus a caravan (if owned)" - Am I still welcome with my motorhome? :shock: :(

Points made with a total understanding of the principles involved ie, "How many people?"

My simple solution would be to charge any additional singularly arriving vehicle (with a maximum of 2 adults & 3 children as above) vehicle kept on the site overnight the full price!
Bongo-ing. The beginning of life as Susie and I now know it...
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 am

Paul, I've received a few more comments by email about this, and also from the people here at Mission Control that have to take the bookings. All comments suggest we are over-complicating matters.

What we are trying to stop is people making a standard booking, and then another car load of friends/relatives turn up and pitch a tent by the side of their pitch. There is no intention to penalise day visitors, or indeed people in motorhomes like yourself.

Personally I think a pitch (or camping unit) is defined as

a) Max of 2 adults and 3 children
b) Max of 1 x vehicle plus 1 x caravan plus 1 x tent, awning or gazebo.

Extra charges apply for additional vehicles, adults and children.

You can't have more than 1 extra tent/awning/gazebo on a pitch because of the size of the pitch. So a extra car with adult plus tent would be charged as another pitch.

I'm hoping to get this firmed up before the December newsletter.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 am

Can I suggest b) reads someting like, 'One vehicle plus caravan, or one vehicle plus tent' rather than 'Plus caravan, plus tent...'

Let's face it, the pitches are pretty good value anyway, and as usual it's a very small number taking the piddle and making things difficult all round. :roll:

Return to “Admin & Club Matters”