Bongos Downunder part 2...

For all owners and afficionados of Mazda Bongo Friendees and Ford Fredas based outside of UK or Ireland.

Moderators: helen&tony, Ian

jonny_t

Bongos Downunder part 2...

Post by jonny_t » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi All,

I live in Melbourne and am seriously considering buying a bongo on import from Japan (e.g. via j-spec). I've read loads of reports about lack of parts, rubbish fuel consumption and even that they are a bit unreliable, but somehow I'm still keen, or mad. In particular, I like the idea that you can either sit 7 people, or fold all the seats flat (according to the marketing photo, this is so my so that my son can play scalextric), I like the look of the pop top tent, and all in they look like a good size camper/suv. There are a couple for sale at the moment (albeit none in Melbourne) for significantly more than the cost of a grey import, so I'm hoping this won't be a completely mad venture...

However, it is a good while since I actually saw a Bongo in person! Certainly not since I've been considering actually buying one. I'm therefore wondering if anyone knows of a dealership somewhere in Melbourne where I might go and have a proper look. Or any other potential means to actually check one out? Any local stories about getting parts, repairs etc? Any local clubs?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Jon
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Re: Bongos Downunder part 2...

Post by bongodonkey » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Try www.b-spec.com. or b-spex.com

Its a Japanese exporter and he is a Japanese expat kiwi, if that makes sense.

He will be able to purchase from auction for you and take you through the import process. Really nice guy.

Also try www.tradecarview.com

Dunno what fuel costs are like in that Australia but out of preference get an AFT ( Auto Free Top ), and avoid the 2.0 litre engine, massively under powered and NO significant saving on fuel.

I love the 2.5 V6 petrol which we converted to LPG......All the grunt on cheaper fuel

Good luck

Oz
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
Barty
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Barty » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Jon, I was wondering how you are doing with your hunt for the bongo? I now live in Melbourne and also considering options of getting one. Would love to hear if you have had any luck? Barty
MarcT77
Bongolier

Post by MarcT77 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:50 pm

My brother lives in Frankston,I could ask him if he knows anywhere ?

Return to “International”