Minor pimps to my bongo

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

buntytw26

Minor pimps to my bongo

Post by buntytw26 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 am

We got the bongo / freda in May and with the help of my folks have tinkered a wee bit.

Got long rails in so we could use the front seats and mid bench for sleeping.

My dad moved and improved the kitchen unit, making it fit nearer to the side panel and scribing it a bit and adding some height to the unit. The top was made narrower and a better shelf added inside.

We removed the remaining gull wing seat and dad made a storage box/ seat and we sprayed it silver.

The wind deflectors were murky so following a tip here, I got them cleaned tonight and they are great.

I had the windows tinted so we look coooool now.

Mum made me some fabs curtains and a cushion for the new box / seat.

Had a patch work quilt made too to spice things up

Rather than potter about with the curtain rails, magnets are used for the tailgate and good old net wire for the front cabin. I can keep the side curtains in situ but simply unhook the windscreen and store until night time. Cheap as chips and just as useful.

My old foam roll mats are begin cut to window size so we can place them between the glass and the pull down screens to keep some heat in.

The curtain fabric by the way is Japanese fabric with weird and wonderful sheep on. Loved it!

Here are some pics of before and after

seventiesboy
Bongolier

Re: Minor pimps to my bongo

Post by seventiesboy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:36 am

Good job =D>

Those seat covers could go in the "lairy bongos" thread :lol:

Like that staorage box a lot, and I've never seen clearer wind deflectors, what did you use to clean them?
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:28 am

magnets :-k theres an idea I saw some-one with a VW who used them to fix a homemade awning to the outside -clearly never been to silvergale :lol: - hadnt thought of using them for inside -but could they affect the vehicle electrics or are they not strong enough to do that.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:44 am

They would have to be from a power station before they are strong enough to affect the electrics. No worries there.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:54 am

The magents are not too strong. We use them on the "pin board" in the kitchen. Think I got them off ebay a few years ago. Neodymium or something but not the mega heavy duty sort. My mum just stitched them into a wee strip of fabric so I can use that as a handle to lift them off. The rear curtain has 5 along the top sewn into the hem (is that the top bit as well as the bottom??) and I used 2 on the wee straps to piin on the edge.

As for the seat cover, that's the patchwork quilt a local woman made. she sells them at craft shows. I asked for a bright funky one and boy did she make me a bright funky one. It probably clashes with the sheep curtains but seeing as it's our bongo I'm nae caring much 8) 8)

The tip about the wind deflector things, like the other member here, I subscribed to one of the magazine and opted for the autoglym valet kit. The product used was the paint renovator. I applied with a microfibre cloth, giving it a good run inside and out, then used a clean bit of the cloth to rub off the residue. Job done.

My dad is a wizard with wood and if he had the right ply could have made a top notch conversion but I was more than happy with my wee box. I have a cushion for the top too also wrapped in sheep material. Mad I say :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
bongobaz
Tribal Elder

Post by bongobaz » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Good for you i think its Fab
Always be ready for a Top Up!
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Karen, I use magnets here and there too - particularly for attaching the fleece roof liner and some hooked magnets up there too for Isaac's string of night lights (awwww!)

I worry a little bit if I drop one that it will land in exactly the wrong place and do something weird to my electrics but I've lost a couple inside the Bongo over the last year or so and there doesn't appear to have been any harm done!!

I find these people a good source http://www.first4magnets.com/index.asp
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Post by nicstrike » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:17 pm

our rear curtain is "magnetised" too. first real test this weekend. :D
wormey
Supreme Being

Post by wormey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:25 am

Fab, like it. :D
Daz and debs
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am

thanks for that - off to order magnets.going hippy chic (or sad old lady) dont care which. :lol:
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Sad old hippy chic fits better. :-" :-" :-"

Like the front cab idea, did you just screw the eye rings into the roof lining?
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:21 pm

:shock: takes one to know one (except chic) :lol: :lol: :lol:
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:39 pm

The net wire has the wee hooks at the end. We bought the small aluminium (I think) metal bar that you use on guy ropes on your tent. About inch, inch and half long with a hole at each end. One end added to the screw for the sunvisor to hold in place and that leaves the other hole. The net wire then hooks into the hole. Left and right windows stays in place and curtain just pulled open but the windscreen curtain is removed. Easy
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:07 am

Ahhh............gotcha, what a great simple idea, cheers
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
Scott
Supreme Being

Post by Scott » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:52 am

Love the magnet idea, ive just got a couple to hold my skirt :oops: in place :roll:

It came from the Bongo Shop and has an elastic rope with a couple of clips on either end, sags like hell in the middle so a couple of decent magnets cure this :D
The user formerly known as csmcqueen ;)

スコット

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”