Replaced my lights today heres the new look

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

maxi_77
Bongolier

Re: Replaced my lights today heres the new look

Post by maxi_77 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:03 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Maxi..
As I stated above...Germany have been quite happy with a straight dipping when re-registering...and as I said, everywhere is different. In some testing stations here they are fussy about the headlamp lens itself regarding prismatic patterns...others...none too fussy....,
Did you have any trouble with your VIN plate, by the way...???...as it's a sticker on the Bongo, they weren't going to accept it here....but given the body number stamped under the windscreen, they finally accepted it.... :evil:
Cheers
Helen
I was told that the situation in Germany has changed, as it has recently here in Portugal and for german registration and BFG they now must have proper LHD dip patterns, only UK registered can flatten. Also I can now report my lights are now 10 times better at night than before, so there are good reasons for making the change.

No problems with the VIN plate though the VIN number doesn't work in the system here not enough numbers.
White diesel Bongo
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:42 pm

I like them! 8)

Brave move chopping your old lights up to house the new lamps! =D> =D> =D>

How do you find the light output at night?
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
redalan1971
Bongonaut

Post by redalan1971 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:53 pm

I have just driven the van for the first time on unlit roads and feel very pleased that the light output is now much greater than my old lights with the road well and truely clear to see. Its a massive improvement and i'm very happy with them. i need to get them aligned properly but the mot is due in afew weeks so i'll get the man to check and adjust them properly for me they adjust very easy with a large twist nob thats hand operated.
I will also adjust them to lhd tomorrow night and see if the pattern changes.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:45 am

Hi
Do you have main AND dip on together, and have you still got the lugs for the electrical adjusters?...I can't remember which side of the lamp they're on on the Astra....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
redalan1971
Bongonaut

Post by redalan1971 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 am

when on main the h1 projector lights stay on and the h7 main beam also comes on.
the lights come with a wiring loom so you only connect one side of the old h4 lights to operate the relays that draw the power direct from the battery.
the lights have manual adjusters but they can be removed and the astra electrical adjusters can be fitted in their place.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi
Thanks...I had considered using the electrical adjusters if the lugs were not the ones cut off..handy for heavy loads in the back!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:04 pm

have you tried them with the LHD switch Yet??? does the lights just dip or does it give proper LHD pattern :)
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 pm

According to the Ebay seller they dip from left to right as well as down, & can be used around the world I have tried to ask him about LHD pattern but that is the answer he gives.
Would be very grateful for some reply on this :)
redalan1971
Bongonaut

Post by redalan1971 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:43 pm

i can confirm the kick moves from left to right so they can be used anywhere perfect for lhd or rhd.
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

redalan1971 wrote:i can confirm the kick moves from left to right so they can be used anywhere perfect for lhd or rhd.
Thanks for that :)
chiefster1976
Bongolier

Post by chiefster1976 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:32 am

Hi there chaps...
How easy is it to strip the bongo head lights down to modify? are they perminently sealed?
Racing green with extras!!Self build full side conversion which rocks!!!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:17 pm

I seem to recall the lenses are bonded onto the case. Being plastic, you may struggle to separate them without cracking something. You can remove the bulb & holder from the rear although it would not provide much access to the insides.
sniperFM
Bongolier

Post by sniperFM » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi, any chance you could put some close up pics of the lights in situ under the bonnet? would be a great help!

:)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:36 am

Hi
Have you got the Astra lights, or the projector lights?...If you have the latter, I have a set on mine, and I'm using the original Mazda bracketry. I am also modifying the sidelights ( if it works) to use the original Mazda sidelight body, but cutting the lens off, and inserting Astra sidelights, after cutting the back of the lamp out, and moulding some perspex over the top! Result should be clear lensed indicators, and chrome reflectors...
I'm just doing it as I speak, because I wanted to get the MOT test done first, which was last week.. Plan is to re-work the grill as well
Cheers
Helen
thehoffmanian
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by thehoffmanian » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:29 am

Great posts on the headlights, I am a new owner in Canada and I would like to do something like this to mine ---- will these lights fit most Bongos, mine is a 1996.

I need to get the lights DOT approved, I think it would be similar to MOT, adjust-ability is the main issue I think, which these lights seem to solve.
thehoffmanian
BC / Canada / 96 Friendee

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”