LED side lights

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

LED side lights

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:48 pm

I decided to fit some LEDs to my front side lights really was a simple five minute job ..

I got some off eBay from China about £3.60 for two .. each with 68 SMD .. (surface mounted diodes) ..

On the earlier Bongos it's an easy job to get the front indicator / side light units out .. just remove the one top screw and pull the whole unit forward .. it maybe a bit stiff as there are two 'tongues' on the (black) light unit that fit into two slots on the (grey) headlight unit ..

The old bulbs are a simple 'twist and pull' to get them out of the side light unit ..

Quick tip .. the LEDs will only work one way round .. before fitting into there into the light units .. fit into the holder and test .. if it does not come on .. remove .. turn the LED 180 degrees .. re fit ..

I sprayed some WD40 on the rear of the light units and the retaining 'slots' and the units slid in easier ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Re: LED side lights

Post by David Edwards » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 pm

looks mighty fine have you a link to them on evil bay or an item number we could look at please.
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:41 pm

I fitted something similar but had to take them out at the mot test centre, they said they would make it fail an mot.
Lost without my Bongo.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Makes you wonder how the Mercs ..Audis .. BMWs etc: get through with there daylight running lights ..

But like I say .. IF .. they become an issue then it's only a few minutes to remove one screw .. pull the unit forward .. and fit a normal cap less bulb ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 pm

David Edwards wrote:looks mighty fine have you a link to them on evil bay or an item number we could look at please.
Took about ten days for them to come from China ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370824542773? ... 1439.l2649
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:39 pm

daveblueozzie wrote:I fitted something similar but had to take them out at the mot test centre, they said they would make it fail an mot.
Mine's been through 2 tests with the same type in,passed no problem.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 am

I would assume that everyone who drives / rides any import could potentially fail every MOT as none of there light lens will be eMarked for Europe ..

In fact both my back and front lights have 'Australia' moulded into the plastics ..
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:29 am

Why would they not pass an mot. Surely if they are fit for purpose they will pass.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:35 am

LEDs are not eMarked for road use .. (but there again neither are the lens on most imported vehicles that are not made / intended for export) ..

White lights should be shown to the front of a vehicle and most LEDs tend to have a slight blue tint which some MOT testers can pick up on ..

But like I say .. just look at most Daylight Running Lights and HID main lights and see how many are a 'pure' white'
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:07 am

It was a bit stupid of the mot guy, he loaned me a screwdriver to change the bulbs, he then did the mot, then said here you go gave me the screwdriver back to put my led ones back in :shock: .
I said no thanks took the pass and pi++ed off [-X
He did say they had a blue tinge to them, I said its a reflection off the blue bongo, no way was he having that excuse.
Lost without my Bongo.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:10 am

I don't believe DRL's are part of MOT so in theory would not fail if they were not the right colour, or not E marked.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 am

Hi
DRLs are on new cars now, aren't they part of the new regs, and cars have to have them from a certain date?. I fitted DRLs a while back, and after a bit of checking, there are only 2 makes that comply with EU regs...Philips and one other..Hella, I think?...anyway, I bought the Philips , and both makes are EU stamped, and come with a certificate of compliance....Most of the EU requires DRLs or dipped lights, and having DRLs saves a fine, and if the Police stop you, they'd be entitled to a good poke round...If I was in a copper's shoes, I would... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have mentioned on here before re: the CE markings , as looking fit for the job doesn't cut it in terms of road use....BUT....if they have had an SVA test upon import, or imported 'afore ye regulations were changed requiring the test, then its a sure thing that any lighting was accepted as adequate....
Headlights won't be a problem, as OPEL / Vauxhall Astra lights fit, and carry the CE mark
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 am

There aren't many countries in the EU requiring DRLs and there aren't many more that require the use of dipped headlights during the day either. It is one of those stupid pointless EU rulings that for some unknown reason the Brits adopted and hardly anyone else did.

They don't serve any useful purpose other than to annoy and distract other roadusers and they actually make motorcyclists more vulnerable because before DRLs reared their ugly heads the only vehicles with lights on were motorcycles and Volvos. For car drivers that made it easier to see bikes and for bikers it made Volvo's more visible which was useful because Volvos were generally being driven badly by short sighted men in flat caps. Volvo's have now been replaced by anyone driving a vehicle of German origin or more specifically BMW, Mercedes and Audi :)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi
http://travel.stackexchange.com/questio ... ng-daytime
From above list, it looks like 10 countries out of the 28 EU countries don't require dipped lights....18 do
DRLs compulsory on new cars since 2011
My view?....the average driver can see folks coming more readily. In country districts, certain colours are harder to see in shady tree lined roads...same for motorbikes
Over here, the majority of the population have had more than a safe amount of alcohol after 11.00 AM, and before 11.00 A.M. they are suffering a hangover....NO...I'm not being cynical...I guess it's much the same across Eastern EU, and I'm sure grateful to see what's coming VERY early!
Regarding German vehicles.,....you can pretty much tell who's driving them, e.g : Black German 4x4s = Mafia, Yobs, and suchlike...white versions of same are favoured by Ladies of the Night, and Footballers (not a lot of difference there, then) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:06 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
http://travel.stackexchange.com/questio ... ng-daytime
From above list, it looks like 10 countries out of the 28 EU countries don't require dipped lights....18 do
DRLs compulsory on new cars since 2011
My view?....the average driver can see folks coming more readily. In country districts, certain colours are harder to see in shady tree lined roads...same for motorbikes
Over here, the majority of the population have had more than a safe amount of alcohol after 11.00 AM, and before 11.00 A.M. they are suffering a hangover....NO...I'm not being cynical...I guess it's much the same across Eastern EU, and I'm sure grateful to see what's coming VERY early!
Regarding German vehicles.,....you can pretty much tell who's driving them, e.g : Black German 4x4s = Mafia, Yobs, and suchlike...white versions of same are favoured by Ladies of the Night, and Footballers (not a lot of difference there, then) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
So that's Eastern Europe and Scandinavia, the three main countries people travel to from the UK don't require dipped headlights (Germany, France, Spain).

In my opinion, they make no difference to visibility, but it's not just my opinion, all the research says they make no difference. It's a bit like the argument for Hi-vis on motorcycles, the reason that hi-vis makes no difference to visibility is that the reason car drivers don't see bikes is because they haven't looked (not that they have looked but not seen). It doesn't matter what a biker wears or covers his bike in if someone hasn't looked they won't see him.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”