cost for rear wheel arch replacement

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

chakmool
Junior Bongonaut

cost for rear wheel arch replacement

Post by chakmool » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi, just after an idea of how much I can expect to pay for rear wheel arch replacement for a '95 AFT. definitely need the drivers side doing but would consider getting both done at once. Have been quoted £1500 but I had thought should come in less than that.
We are in brighton.
Thanks so much for any advice.
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Re: cost for rear wheel arch replacement

Post by hijimhere » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:07 pm

My guy did the arches (using merc sprinter rear to section) and also the rot behind them £225 a side - some one quoting £1500 don't want the job- - they MAY even be planning to subcontract the work. Use the search you should find a variation but nothing like that figure
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:18 pm

It depends what the garage are doing for that sort of money. Bellhill will charge that sort of price, but you will get genuine Mazda arches as well as the inner wheelarch replaced which will rust sooner or later if you just tackle the exterior panel. For less than a third of that you can have both sides ground back, filled and the rear quarter panels resprayed.
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:47 pm

I paid 1,500 for both sides using sprinter arches. The guy did a very thorough job (which I saw in progress). Painting cost 500 of that, but was the whole test end from front doors back. I'm chuffed with the job, but the price wasn't low.
Beyond A to B
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Pisceanjoy on here had them done at Bodyworx, Portslade. Not at liberty to say how much, but a LOT less than £1500! :D :D

Check them out.

Bodyworx

Address: The Old Warehouse Studio, Mill Rd
Postcode: BN41 1PD
City/Town: Portslade, Brighton (East Sussex)
Main phone: 01273 414183
Category: Car Repairs

Derek
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

My arches need tlc. Any recommendations for a body shop in my neck if the woods - half way between Swindon and Bath?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Just had ours done £200 per side. Station road garage Bamford. I am more than happy with finish.
chakmool
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chakmool » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks for the replies- seems to be huge variation in prices out there. Those who got it done for ~£200-300 per side, was that for cutting out and replacing or just rubbing back? and did that price include paintwork?
thanks again!
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 pm

Mine was for cutting out all the rot outside and inside. The inner was plated & welded the outer were cut to fit Sprinter rear arches & welded into position. There is no way I would go with the filler route. £1500 in a body shop seems well OTT if we allow a generous £250 for paint and materials that leaves £1250 labour. If labour was £39 per hour would indicate 82 hours if labour rate was £60 that would indicate 20 or so hours which seems far more realistic in terms of time.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 am

I have one that needs doing and having done them in the past my self.
If you are selling it in the next month or two fill it, if not cut it out and replace all the rotten metal as if you don't it will be rusty in another 6 months
Its not a difficult job if you do the metal work your self and get a body shop to paint it, you only need basic tools, the arch could be pop riveted on then the body shop could weld it for you, it only needs to be tacked on.
PisceanJoy
Bongolier

Post by PisceanJoy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:33 pm

Cost me £300 in Portslade
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:30 pm

cmm303 wrote:My arches need tlc. Any recommendations for a body shop in my neck if the woods - half way between Swindon and Bath?

PM Jillygumbo. Body shop in Swindon have done a good job on hers.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Bob wrote:
cmm303 wrote:My arches need tlc. Any recommendations for a body shop in my neck if the woods - half way between Swindon and Bath?
PM Jillygumbo. Body shop in Swindon have done a good job on hers.
Thanks, will do
Chris with BertieB
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am

Just to update this with cost (I found this thread searching for arch replacement costs). I'm getting mine done in Taunton at a body shop that resprayed the front of my Porsche, so I know they are good! They are replacing one arch with a sprinter arch supplied by me, and grinding, cleaning and mending the other arch (with metal!), then respraying the rear sides and pretty much one whole side - due to the massive panels) - then waxoyling the arches, for £500 plus vat.

p.s. the arches are on offer at the moment. £32 delivered
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am

That seems excellent price. Would be worth the fuel travelling to Taunton if they open on Saturday. Can you post or PM their contact info? Paint job sounds much the same as a local (recommended) bodyshop has quoted + 2 new arches but for £1100+ (inc VAT). I've been in touch with Jillygumbo's bodyshop and will get a quote from them first.
Decals? Do they all have to come off and be replaced? Does the paint look a different shade where they have been removed?
Chris with BertieB

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”