Astra lights

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Astra lights

Post by dave_aber » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:05 am

Interesting! I hadn't realised that the aftermarket lamps were compatible with the stock levelling motors. I will investigate this further!

DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:10 am

Hi Dave...
If you do, can you let me know, as it's too darned cold at the moment here, and any work will be spring-time in March before I get a chance....Just been outside to top up the screenwash on the Jeep, and I'll need an hour before my fingers move...LITERALLY....(Raynauds syndrome) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 am

It'll be 3 weeks or so before I'm reunited with both my Bongo and "the list" which I inevitably arrive back to when I get home.

When I'm taking photos of the lamp installation I'll check if these actuators look like they'll fit mine. I'll be impressed if they do. I'll have to then find a suitable Bongo shaped on-off-on switch for up & down. Or a 0-1-2-3 rotary type.
Image...Image
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Dave
The original switches on the Astra are the 1-2-3 type!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:50 am

Might have to be a "Franken-switch" solution then!
Image...Image
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi
Do you still want pictures of the lights...I could do better and describe stage by stage if you wish?...The lights are fi-glassed in to the original Mazda brackets, and there's nothing to see...I looked this morning, and thought that it doesn't really tell the tale. Also, what type of lights do you have?...standard Astra, or the twin lamp kit?
Cheers
Helen
Puma931
Bongolier

Post by Puma931 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:37 pm

I just need to know/see how much to cut off the back of the mazda light and where you fixed it to the Astra (standard) light.
I tried, but got annoyed as I could not work out how much to cut off the mazda light....and gave up.

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Do you still want pictures of the lights...I could do better and describe stage by stage if you wish?...The lights are fi-glassed in to the original Mazda brackets, and there's nothing to see...I looked this morning, and thought that it doesn't really tell the tale. Also, what type of lights do you have?...standard Astra, or the twin lamp kit?
Cheers
Helen
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:47 pm

I cut down the Mazda lamps right inboard of the end pieces, leaving the first vertical face inboard of the bolts, and nothing else. The next bit inboard is a series (4 or 5) on horizontal ribs. These all go, completely and everything else inbetween.

On one end (Outside end IIRC) the Maxda bit is rivitted directly to the Astra housing.
On the other end (thus, Inside end IIRC), there is a metal bracket to take up the gap, rivetted to the Astra lamp and to the Mazda bit.

On one of my lamps, I also fibreglassed round the brackets. On the second one, as it seemed pretty secure and I was getting pissed off with the mess froom fibreglassing, I left it bare.

Then all that's left to do is heat up the ends of the grille, and squeeze them in a bit. You have to lose the lower outer mounting points.

HTH
DA
Image...Image
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi
All you need is the 2 ends cut off from the original Bongo light,,,I whipped the ends off with a recipro saw.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ...Bolt them onto the Bongo, put the Astra light in between, hold it in place with shims so that it is as close to the correct alignment to match the sidelight, as you can use the original sidelight mounting point, then fibreglass or add brackets. Our friend in the village here just did hers too...nice job! Wiring...well, as we don't know whether it's the standard Astra, or the twin lamp, that's easy either way...just modify the existing loom. I added a strip of LED indicators along the top as well
I made my own grille from the original, and only left the top middle, and made 2 lower ones....easy to whip the grille off
Cheers
Helen
meek.tv
Bongolier

Post by meek.tv » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:19 pm

I have some on their way from the astra facebook forum (£50)
I'm sure I will be back on this thread with plenty of questions VERY soon :)
.......... cycling more.
meek.tv
Bongolier

Post by meek.tv » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:24 pm

My second hand lamps have arrived, the task does look a bit daunting to be fair. I guess I just need to get stuck into it and see how it goes.
I've not used fibreglass before so I am hoping I can bracket them in.
The units have come without bulbs, a quick google says I need a pair of h7's and a pair of h1 bulbs??
I'll have to work out what wiring is what too. Did you keep the original bongo sidelight as well as the "angel" ring lights?

I have a feeling I will end up with two sets of lights that I have ruined with a lot of swearing fi I don't forearm myself with as much tips/hits I can from here :cry:
.......... cycling more.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:54 am

Hi
Fitting the lights is easy. Regarding the sidelights, I only use the angel eyes , or it looks a bit daft. I also have E-marked DRLs...plain LED ones are not legal, and I've wired them to dim when the headlights are on.
Good luck with the fitting.
Cheers
Helen
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri May 15, 2015 12:05 pm

As I kept promising, and not getting round to it, here are some photos of my Astra lamps from the "business end"

Inner side of the lamp, steel "U" bracket pop-rivitted between the Bongo end piece and the new lamp

Outer end, Bongo end-plate screwed / bonded to the Astra lamp
Image...Image
meek.tv
Bongolier

Post by meek.tv » Fri May 15, 2015 6:44 pm

dave_aber wrote:As I kept promising, and not getting round to it, here are some photos of my Astra lamps from the "business end"
Thanks for that, it gives me a bit more confidence to crack on with the job. MOT before the end of the month so I will do that first (will obviously sail through :shock: ) and then get cutting
.......... cycling more.
meek.tv
Bongolier

Post by meek.tv » Sun May 24, 2015 1:39 pm

I have finally made a start, no going back now

Im struggling to get it all lined up nicely at the moment and rain has just stopped play.
Have you tucked the lower lip of the astra light behind the edge of the front panel or do you have it resting on top of the front panel?
.......... cycling more.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”