Front spot lights

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

haybal
Bongolier

Front spot lights

Post by haybal » Sun May 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi guys

I would like to fit some spot lights onto the front of our bongo, don't have a bull bar or think the bumper is strong enough. Has anyone fitted any differently? any advice or suggestions would be most helpful.

Cheers
Barry
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Front spot lights

Post by Simon Jones » Sun May 04, 2014 10:24 pm

All the factory fitted options use the bull bar. You're right that the bumper would be too flexible, but you could fit steady-bars that clamp to the grille to stop them wobbling.

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun May 04, 2014 10:49 pm

if your into making stuff you could make some brackets and fit them behind the plastic grill but in front of the radiator, or even cut into the grill.
keeps the smooth lines then.

these look good, scroll down this thread by bigdaddycain. =D> =D> .

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ont+lights
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sun May 04, 2014 10:59 pm

You can purchase RING lamps from Halfords or similar quite reasonably that will do the trick. On some of the vehicles the wiring is pre installed. Shooty in.

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/1R16412.gif
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun May 04, 2014 11:23 pm

That would be fine for fog lamps, but is a bit low for spot/driving lamps that come on with the main beam.
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Thank you for the replies so far guys, few ideas to consider there like the idea of mounting behind the the grill like BDC did.

I do have a couple of questions thou..
1.Would enough light still get through the old style grill to make a difference when driving?
2. If wired into the mainbeam would a relay be required?

Cheers
Barry
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon May 05, 2014 1:53 pm

1. Probably not. The plastic on the grille would block a fair bit of light and also tend to deflect it downwards.

2. Yes a relay would be prudent as you would be doubling the load on the existing relay and fuse. It may be an idea to have a seperate switch too so you can turn them off as required & at MOT time.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon May 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi
Yes...you can use a switch to turn the relay on , and wired into the headlight main-beam as well, merely to trigger the relay...I have some (Ahem) wattage KC Daylighters...they can be bought as a kit complete with relays....
OR....there are some extraordinarily bright strip lights using LEDs giving off some immense power, and they certainly would fit behind a grille...highly recommended at the price they sell for, and bright enough to melt the car in front! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Mon May 05, 2014 4:06 pm

Thank you for your reply Simon, i didn't think that lights behind the old type grill would be that good, after having a look behind the grill there is metal pipe work on the passenger side. This may of made it a bit difficult to actually mount a light.

Hi Helen,

LED strips that are bright enough for spot lights sounds great,easy to fit in tight spaces.
Would you be able to point me in the direction of where to obtain some? (not sure how powerful the LED's need to be)

Thanks guys
Barry
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon May 05, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi
Take a look at the KC LZR range...then look at the price....3 grand, nearly!!!!....then look on E-Bay for cheaper alternatives.... :lol: ...If you see the type I mean, then make sure they have the cree chips (LEDs) in, and compare notes with the KC versions.
Whatever you find won't be cheap, but hidden behind a grille, they're not obvious targets for T-leafs!...I saw them on E-Bay a while back, but can't remember where....I'm looking for some slim LED roof-pods....VERY Kool for night driving!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Thu May 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Thanks Helen.
Barry
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu May 08, 2014 10:39 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Take a look at the KC LZR range...then look at the price....3 grand, nearly!!!!....then look on E-Bay for cheaper alternatives.... :lol: ...If you see the type I mean, then make sure they have the cree chips (LEDs) in, and compare notes with the KC versions.
Whatever you find won't be cheap, but hidden behind a grille, they're not obvious targets for T-leafs!...I saw them on E-Bay a while back, but can't remember where....I'm looking for some slim LED roof-pods....VERY Kool for night driving!
Cheers
Helen
They sound like a lot of fun Helen but is their light capable of being directed like a spotlight or will people 10 miles away from the source think they're having a close encounter of the third kind. :lol: :lol: :lol:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri May 09, 2014 4:16 am

Hi Mike
Errrr...yes, they can be directed!....and the "Close Encounter" is about right....They are pretty well right up there with future needs for the Bongo...I don't drive at night here...don't take my word for it, but check motoring advice from reliable sources....like Govt. advice leaflets, etc. Usual advice is that it's dangerous...The Bulgs. drink like there's no tomorrow, and night is their time...also there are bandits, bandits dressed as coppers who pull you over...and so on....the only thing to do is drive fast with good lighting. A year or two back, a drunken M.P. knocked over a German tourist crossing the road...the Police stopped her, she threw a handful of cash onto the back seat of the Police car, saying "that should sort it" or similar....probably would have done if it was a Bulgarian or British pedestrian!
So...a good set of lights over here is not just a fetish for accessories but SURVIVAL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat May 10, 2014 1:25 pm

I got a set of these in Halfords a few years ago which fit perfectly into the gaps in the bumper

To fit them, I removed the bumper, and fitted a bar between the chassis legs

This shows one end of the bar, and one lamp fitting (covered in underseal) - 4 years later it's not looking quite so shiny in there!

They work really well with the quad setup

Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Sun May 11, 2014 3:51 pm

dave_aber wrote:I got a set of these in Halfords a few years ago which fit perfectly into the gaps in the bumper

To fit them, I removed the bumper, and fitted a bar between the chassis legs

This shows one end of the bar, and one lamp fitting (covered in underseal) - 4 years later it's not looking quite so shiny in there!

They work really well with the quad setup

Oooh like that idea, how is the bar fixed in place? (welded/bolted)

Cheers
Barry

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”