Front spot lights

All about modifications, shiny alloys, chrome wheel nuts & mirrors, body skirts and much more!

Moderator: Ian

dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Front spot lights

Post by dave_aber » Sun May 11, 2014 10:25 pm

I've welded it on, but you could also bolt it
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Fri May 16, 2014 9:44 am

dave_aber wrote:I've welded it on, but you could also bolt it
Thanks for the info on the spot lights, really like the look of the quad headlights.
Is there a straight forward replacement for the bongo lights? or a fact sheet/info of how to convert them.

Cheers
Barry
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 am

Hi
Errr....the straightforward replacement for the Bongo headlight, is a Bongo headlight :wink:
The quad ones are Vauxhall Astra Mk 3, or you can try BMW E39 headlights...either choice is a custom DIY fit, and not a straight swap
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu May 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Aye, the modification to the Astra lamps was simple enough - but certainly not a straight swap.

What I did was get a spare set of Bongo lamps from eBay, and following Helen's lead I got an aftermarket set of Quad / Angel Eye lamps designed for an Astra F/Mk3, also on eBay.

Offering them up, it became clear that to fit I had to cut off all the mountings designed for the Astra, and then cut the ends off the Bongo lamps, leaving the main mounts, plus the bits that hold up the grille and the sidelight / indicator unit.

Attaching the 'brackets' remaining from the original lamps to the new ones was reasonably straightforward, if you are into that sort of ting. Some metalwork, pop-rivets, self-tappers and fibreglass were the order of the day. And then you need to re-profile the ends of the grille to match the lamp sides.

All in all a nice wee project, and completely reversible if you use an extra set of lamps and grille.

DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Pimp My Bongo”