New flooring

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

New flooring

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Decided that i was fed up with the grubby carpet in the back of the bongo, (three dogs and muddy footprints) so last weekend i took the bed box out ,that i made last year and the home made kitchen unit out and stripped the carpet out. :shock:
Before i started this little #-o [-X project i did a bit of research and read up on the excellent fact sheet on flooring by madmile =D> , that gave me the bit of knowledge that i needed to start the flooring.
I already had a load of plywood sheets (30 inch by 40inches) but only 7mm (i think) and they cost me 50pence a sheet :shock: #-o .
Made some cardboard templates and cut the sheets to size, I doubled up on the plywood to give me a stronger floor using strong glue and screws and overlapping joints to make a strong floor.(I used 6 sheets of ply costing me £3, bit of a bargain)
BDC I found out is a dab hand at using the jigsaw =D> (better than me , Ive no patience )
Using tabs of plywood to join two sheets together and also to make the floor solid.
I sanded any joints that were a bit proud, and then taped over the joints using duck tape.
Before laying the floor I placed some laminate wood flooring underlay down first, then the plywood floor, then another layer of the underlay on top of the plywood, before fitting the linoleum on top of that.(lino and underlay from B&Q cost £67) :shock:
Nice cushioned floor and easy to clean.(no pic of the lino yet, it got too dark #-o )

You can see ive left one of the runners in place, it has two bolts fitted, these fix my bedbox to the floor.
As you can see i also made a hatch over the fuel tank cover (just in case) you can also see the floor tapers to the rear door.
Lost without my Bongo.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: New flooring

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:01 am

Looking good up to now Dave

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 am

looks good but you dont need hatch access to tank really. main thing that fails is the sender earth, just simply attach a new earth from anywhere on tank to chassis. job sorted.
mike, jo and emma
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:58 pm

As promised a pic of the floor with the kitchen unit, just placed there for the moment (bit of tweeking needed)
Lost without my Bongo.
SPARKYSSS

Post by SPARKYSSS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Looks like a good job there mate. How do you go about removing the seat runners and how do you know where to attach them again?
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 pm

SPARKYSSS wrote:Looks like a good job there mate. How do you go about removing the seat runners and how do you know where to attach them again?
The seat runners on mine were held down with 6 bolts (short runners) you can see the bolts in the second picture.
I don't use the seat runners except for the one that is left in place,I built up the floor to make it level with the top of the remaining runner, that holds my bed/storage box.
I don't have the sliding bench seat ,that was taken out a couple of years ago, so one of the runners is now of no use in the bongo. I do have a flip up seat at the side opposite the kitchen unit, that drops down and I use that and the bed/storage box for my bed.
Lost without my Bongo.
SPARKYSSS

Post by SPARKYSSS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 pm

Ok thanks for that Dave. Guess I could leave the runners in place and (as you say) build the floor up. Thanks for that mate, nice one
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 pm

Nice job there dave. Can you remember what size bolts you used in the runners for the box?
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.
friendeedebs
Supreme Being

Post by friendeedebs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:00 am

that looks good 8) I'm on a mission to get my bongo changed a bit, never thought of the floor :)
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 am

Dont like it.......looks crap
:^o :^o

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 am

blobber wrote:Nice job there dave. Can you remember what size bolts you used in the runners for the box?
Sorry Alan don't know the size offhand (i think they were 10mm), all i did was take a handful of random sized bolts from the shed to the bongo and see which slid into the slot of the runner, i do remember using a couple of good strong washers as well on each bolt, one underneath in the slot and one under the nut that locks it in place.
Lost without my Bongo.
LoopyLoo
Bongolier

Post by LoopyLoo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 pm

debbiepritch wrote:that looks good 8) I'm on a mission to get my bongo changed a bit, never thought of the floor :)
I'm wanting the floor done, but its beyond me, so might try and find someone to do it for me.. :?
8etty 8ongo
Tribal Elder

Post by 8etty 8ongo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:57 pm

looks great.......something i would like to do as well..........how do you attach the ply to the floor of the van? is there a fact sheet somewhere?
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 pm

campermania wrote:looks great.......something i would like to do as well..........how do you attach the ply to the floor of the van? is there a fact sheet somewhere?
You can use an adhesive to hold the floor in place, but i didn't bother knowing my bed box and kitchen unit will hold it down, plus the side door step covers the edge, and the rear door is held down by the plastic strip.
I suppose you could use the bolts from the runners to hold it down if needed.
Lost without my Bongo.
Barrington
Supreme Being

Post by Barrington » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Looking good there Dave well done matey, another great pimp from the pimp masters =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Music is my Sanctuary!

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”