Reversing the middle bench seat *DO NOT DELETE*

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

dvisor
Supreme Being

Reversing the middle bench seat *DO NOT DELETE*

Post by dvisor » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:51 pm

I returned my Bongo to "summer mode" today, turning the middle bench seat back to facing forwards. It's probably been documented elsewhere, but I took some photos while I did it in case it's of use to anyone else.

First of all, you need to remove the rear bench seat from the runners

You now need to remove the pins from the rear end of the rails. These will be held in place with a washer, which you can spring off with a screwdriver (or perhaps by hitting the washer end of the pin with a hammer).

Now you should be able to slide the runners of the rails, out of the rear of the van. Make sure you keep the locking mechanism disengaged (by pushing down with a screwdriver) while you remove the rails, otherwise you may scratch the paintwork.

Slide out all 4 runners, making a note of which came from where.

These nylon pieces will probably be broken. The seat will still slide without them, but not as smoothly. It's probably better to chuck the broken ones rather than risk them getting stuck in the rails and jamming the seat.

You now need to reverse all the steps above to refit the seats.The two runners that held the middle bench should be swopped over and rotated 180 degrees before replacing them. This will allow the middle bench seat to be rotated when you refit it.

When you return the pins to the end of the rails, it's not necessary to fit the retaining washer. I didn't bother and the pins haven't come unseated in two years.
Two tonne tin drum
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Reversing the middle bench seat

Post by Diplomat » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:56 am

Excellent step by step instructions for a frequently asked question Thanks, dvisor.

I'm curious as to what your winter/summer requirements are that necessitate the change?

I run with the back seat removed completely but with the runners left in the rails (right at the back withe stop removed) and the midlle bench slid well back.

Have been through your procedure, including the broken nylon bits, having for a short while set up the seats in conference mode.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:13 am

Diplomat wrote:I'm curious as to what your winter/summer requirements are that necessitate the change?
During the winter we use a table in the van so the 4 of us can eat at it, boil a kettle, make soup or whatever if its filthy weather outside. We also find the bed more comfortable if the headrests on the middle bench are at our feet, rather than our hips. So the reversed bench suits us better.

However, during the summer we spend 2 or 3 weeks traveling in Europe, going from site to site with a maximum of 2 nights at any one stop. For that, we find it better to have the kids a bit closer to the front on the middle bench for all the traveling; so we need to turn it forward facing. Also, we find it easier and quicker to pack the extra equipment we need for the long break. We push the middle bench back to the rear bench, and there's just about enough room to store the Quechua popup upright between the two benches. All our sleeping bags, clothes bags etc then get stacked onto the rear seat and is restrained front and rear by the seat backs (does that all make sense). The bed is a little more uncomfortable that way, but overall its less hassle.
Two tonne tin drum
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Yes, all makes sense!

I like the idea of the storage zone between the seat backs. The forum is great for sharing ideas.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Hobbsy

Post by Hobbsy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Wish I seen this before I reversed mine...i took the whole lot out including the runners!!!
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Cheers Dvisor great post just wipped my seats out to do some removels tommorrow so swaped the sliders round so the middle seat will be reversed when i refit them easy job.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:06 pm

That's a really helpful post. =D> I've added it to the existing info, in the FAQ forum, ON THIS LINK so we can always find it. :)
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks off out to do mine now.
Have you done the same photos for the seat belts?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”