Cutting rear bench seat down for side conversion

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

madlec
Bongonaut

Cutting rear bench seat down for side conversion

Post by madlec » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi,

I'm still a bit of a novice DIYer but have made a few modifications to our Montague rear conversion.
In the distant future I would like to DIY a side conversion, but my only sticking point is the bed situation, we need seatbelts. I am playing with the idea of an RnR bed, or modifying our existing bench seat to fit (the cheaper option :) ). I have seen plenty of good conversions using the original bench seat cut down to size, professional and DIY, but I can't find out how to do it. Can anyone give me some ideas, or would I do better getting a RnR?
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Cutting rear bench seat down for side conversion

Post by dave_aber » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:46 pm

Here's a link to my photo album "Seats" which shows (amongst other things) my rear-seat cut down project.

If you follow the link in my signature block, you can see the fully-clothed seat in action as a seat, and folded out of the way with the bed deployed.

HTH
DA
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
madlec
Bongonaut

Post by madlec » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks Dave. It was following the link in your sig in another post which planted the idea for me. It looks like you have some welding skills... I may have to rethink the bed, soldering is my limit :?
Simmy
Bongonaut

Post by Simmy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:03 pm

Hi sorry to resurrect an old thread,I was looking for info with pictures on cutting down rear seats for full side conversion and found this post although the link does not work. I would be very grateful for any pictures of the process or even finished article .

Thanks
Simmy

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”