Lino or similar.

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

sotal
Supreme Being

Lino or similar.

Post by sotal » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:19 pm

We've been thinking about trying to improve the flooring in the Bongo. Just after a bit of advice from those who have changed theirs.

We have a mid conversion. We have the full bench seat at the back and I'd be happy to leave carpet underneath this.

We have full length rails - although the full length is not used as the rear bench hits the kitchen unit.

The offside rail goes under the kitchen unit.

So our problem at the moment is that the big mat that is in the Bongo gets dirty very quickly and doesn't seem that easy to clean. (Always looks a bit grubby even after hoovering etc)

Our second minor problem is that whilst we are away in the Bongo we seem to spend quite a lot of time kneeling on the floor in the Bongo, to get things out from under the bench seat or the cupboards etc. The ridged floor at the moment is rather uncomfortable on the knees!

So I'm interested in ways to make the floor easier to clean and to level it up.

I'm thinking to do this properly I'm probably going to have to remove the kitchen cupboard unit.
I've seen on here about using strips of ply to level the ridges.

Is lino the best type of floor covering to go on top? We have a dog who travels on that portion of floor.

Will I be best to remove the floor rails, lino between then replace them back over the top, or try to sort it so the lino goes over the top of the rails?

What about the join to carpet further back?

Any potential obstacles?

Thanks

Just to add...

It is identical to this one...
http://www.southernbongos.co.uk/midconversions.html

You just can't see the runners on those pictures, we currently have the same mats etc though.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Lino or similar.

Post by helen&tony » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:23 am

Hi
Depending on what you want, the choices are unlimited. I converted my VW...and over the ply flooring I got hold of some industrial carpeting off-cuts from an office foyer...and THAT sort of stuff is the hardest wearing covering you can buy, and it's impervious to anything!...You could try going to a big exhibition when they're packing up, and see what you can beg ( at a price) from the dismantlers...Sometimes you actually see ex-exhibition carpet up for sale if you hunt round. Nowadays, I like industrial-grade rubber flooring...not cheap, but it's simply not worth saving pennies!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:04 am

Foam workshop flooring

Nice and soft for the knees , hard wearing, can be lifted out and cleaned
Comes in loads of colours even wood effect
And incomes in rolls
I've just done my caravan in black chequer plate looks very modern
I've done caravans and landrovers in this with no problems
I've used the interlocking tiles and they work well don't seperate or lift at joins
Can be siliconed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Interlocking- ... 27f13d04cd

Here's a landy I did in it
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
nicxf
Bongolier

Post by nicxf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:19 pm

The convertors who just did my van use Altro non-slip flooring: http://www.altro.co.uk/Home - the type they have used is very hard wearing, and it comes in lots of colours too. Before the conversion I did just have a cheap bit of lino cut to fit over the carpet, but it "walked" around a LOT. I think it might have worked better with some non-slip stuff underneath, and it was certainly a cheap temporary solution.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”