My DIY conversion progress

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

callum
Bongolier

Re: My DIY conversion progress

Post by callum » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi Mike,
Erm, not really no, i laid on that side today and am just shy of 6 foot. I have designed it to suit myself and my wife.
So the long side will accomodate approx 6'7", the other approx 5'6". So about ok for an "average" man and woman.
If you're on the shorter side of the bed, you can throw a leg over to the other side as it is wider. It's certainly better than a normal mid conversion in that sense and is what we were hoping to get from our van.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:11 am

callum wrote:Hi Mike,
Erm, not really no, i laid on that side today and am just shy of 6 foot. I have designed it to suit myself and my wife.
So the long side will accomodate approx 6'7", the other approx 5'6". So about ok for an "average" man and woman.
If you're on the shorter side of the bed, you can throw a leg over to the other side as it is wider. It's certainly better than a normal mid conversion in that sense and is what we were hoping to get from our van.
Thanks Callum - very interesting nonetheless and my other half is shorter than me so......

Will you be fitting storage cupboards above the windows?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:20 am

Does look jolly good, thanks for the ongoing updates. :)
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:49 am

Mike,
That is Saturday's job yes. Just one on the drivers side, i won't be making it too long though as i worry about heads being too close to it in an accident. But some tins of beans, tea bags, coffee and other condiments can live in there. All the rest of our normal camping stuff will be (snugly!) Fitted into the box seats. A squeeze, but that's ok.
I now plan fit a box to our bike rack as i didn't realise you could, so that will remove some of the pressure of fitting it all in the van.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:33 am

callum wrote:Mike,
That is Saturday's job yes. Just one on the drivers side, i won't be making it too long though as i worry about heads being too close to it in an accident. But some tins of beans, tea bags, coffee and other condiments can live in there. All the rest of our normal camping stuff will be (snugly!) Fitted into the box seats. A squeeze, but that's ok.
I now plan fit a box to our bike rack as i didn't realise you could, so that will remove some of the pressure of fitting it all in the van.
Heads bumping is a very good point indeed. I have the 2 stainless steel long grabrails in mine instead of the 4 original plastic grabhandles. Even with those my daughter complained she could bump her head on the n/s one if not careful. Overhead cupboards might be worse.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:52 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
callum wrote:Mike,
Heads bumping is a very good point indeed. I have the 2 stainless steel long grabrails in mine instead of the 4 original plastic grabhandles. Even with those my daughter complained she could bump her head on the n/s one if not careful. Overhead cupboards might be worse.
Fitted some rubber bump strips under mine.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi folks,
Well a motorbike emergency barrel removal curtailed any proper work on the van, which is a shame.
I had an hour or so, so i made the basic structure, just to make myself feel better.
Very little progress, but hey ho. A wee picture for you anyway.
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Hi folks,
Well today i finished off the cupboard. Took, as ever, longer than i hoped.
I fitted an LED strip light underneath. I need to tidy up the wiring inside, but i'm quite pleased with it. Not too long as i was worried about being too close to the rear passengers.
Just need to tidy up the wiring inside the hob unit and get the cushions made up and we're done.
After all that i will do some bodywork, then Spring 2017 i will make my own inner roof panel, akin to the "catflap" style. A baby to have first though!!

Just like all my other work, it's not perfect, but still pretty enough.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Top job. =D>
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks bob, i can't wait to make our first cup of tea in it! We won't be camping until next year due to the impending baby arrival, but we plan some day trips and picnics this year.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 pm

Very neat.
Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongalow Bill » Thu May 05, 2016 9:09 pm

This looks fantastic! Just what I need!! Can I ask the size / type of hob you have fitted?
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Thu May 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi, thanks for the kind words.
It's just the standard Smev two burner hob, google "smev 8022"
That was fitted to the rear conversion i sold, i took it out before i sold it.
It's a conversion that will work for our family, the hob unit idea was stolen from one i saw on ebay a while back, theirs had the gas bottle stored in it too though.
Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongalow Bill » Fri May 06, 2016 7:44 am

Excellent I'm afraid I'm going to have to copy your idea just have to measure up.. where did you get the edging from? :)

Thanks
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri May 06, 2016 8:06 am

Ha, all ideas (unless you're an uber entrepreneur!) are variations on a similar theme.

I bought the ply and trim from Southern Bongos as they are relatively local. I found sourcing the ply the hardest part as it isn't easy to get suppliers to sell small batch. You can get at least 2 full sheets in a bongo though, so i found out!
The trim is purchasable from ebay also, as are the cupboard locks.
Note, the ply was £100 a sheet, so need to be careful doing it as if you make a mistake, it's a lot of money wasted!

My mother in law has now been prepped with the material for the cushions, so i shouls get those soon enough, which is the final piece of the downstairs puzzle! (That sounds a bit rude!)

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”