Hello / Questions :)

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Hello / Questions :)

Post by Bongalow Bill » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Hello all,

New to this forum and had my bongolow since the beginning of the year.

The only mod iv really done it reverse the seats..

Now I'm wondering if anyone has any templates as I'd like to attempt a DIY mid side conversion. This I know will be a total bodge as iv never done anything like this before, but essentially all I think I need to do is remove middle row and construct a kind of box to sit against the right hand side.

Trouble is... how do I measure /cut the wood to the curvature of the van? Will a jig saw do it?

Any help and expertise much appreciated!
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Re: Hello / Questions :)

Post by BigPanzer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:28 am

Hi

Making templates is quite easy, you don't need anything more than some corrugated cardboard boxes, soft pencil, steel rule and a Stanley knife. When you know you have got the curves right you can transfer the profile to the plywood and cut out with an ordinary jigsaw, but use a hand held circular saw for the straight bits. When I made mine I decided to make a temporary one first, live with it, make any required mods then when satisfied I can clone it for the "quality job". Four years on and I'm still living with the temporary one!

If you are thinking of a pod behind the drivers seat, remember to give yourself sufficient space to retain engine access. Unless you leave a bit of space this means you need to remove it, move it backwards if it is bolted to the original runners or prop the seat half open with a stick. This might affect your arrangements for plumbing and electrics.

Loads of info and ideas on here and on other self build forums as well as info about gas, electrical & carbon monoxide safety.

Peter
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:40 am

To get the curved bits right, use a stand-off attached to a soft pencil or a sharpie type marker pen.

You need to set up a vertical cardboard surface at whatever position in the van you want your final wooden panel to meet the side panel.

Slide this across the van until it touches the side trim at it's widest point.

The clever bit is to make up a stand-off which is attached to the marker pen. A drumstick is ideal, but really any straight stick will do.

Hold the 'drumstick' horizontal at the position where the van side trim is furthest in, i.e. where the biggest gap is between the edge of the cardboard and the trim.

Attach your marker pen to the 'drumstick' at 90°, best to attach right down at the pointy end of the pen.

If you have it assembled correctly, you will have a stick touching the van trim and spanning the largest gap from the trim to the cardboard, with the pen taped onto it and the pointy end of the pen is making a mark right at the edge of the cardboard.

Now - it's important that the drumstick stays absolutely level.

Move to the floor of the van, and slowly scribe upwards following the profile of the van trim panel onto the cardboard. If the stick goes off level, your scribed line will be too far over - you can tweak this later as you test-fit.

Once you have a clear line to follow, cut the cardboard with scissors or a stanley knife. Test fit, re-trim, etc.

Once it fits, transfer your line onto wood and go for it.

It's useful to have an assistant to hold the cardboard panel vertical, unless you are an octopus.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:35 pm

I've got a mid conversion which I built myself,would be happy to meet and have a chat if you're around my neck of the woods.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun May 01, 2016 4:36 am

Hi
There is always this one if you're a novice: http://lushprojects.com/bongokitchen/
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Bongalow Bill
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Bongalow Bill » Thu May 05, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks all,

I will certainly check that link out in a mo,

I'm in Cornwall if anyone near by has a self build?

Also has anyone attempted a kind of fold down sink/hob set up?
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Thu May 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi,
I have a thread a few down from this one, about my homebuild.
I work in hospitality, so absolutely a beginner. It can all be done if you have the patience and basic knowledge of electrics and tools.
It took me hours to make some items that a professional would take less than an hour. On the plus side, i got my complete conversion for around £500, i sold the rear conversion i had in it for nearly that, so i was lucky.
But, if budgets are smaller, then don't buy vohringer ply or trim it accordingly. The "show us yer insides" thread proves that decent homebuilds can be good and cheap.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”