Solar panel

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Re: Solar panel

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm

I do love the remote display, but in all honesty the charge controller itself has a display and is in the wardrobe cupboard which is literally next to the display. I also have a battery gauge on the control panel.

I'd probably still get the display but I'm a geek and love a cool gadget, I don't think it's essential though, especially if you can still easily get to the main chargers display and have other means of checking voltages.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:45 pm

Well, the panel arrived and I've popped it on bongo.....churning out a fair old amount of leccy as I type. Looking forward to giving it a proper airing and trying the cool box with it at the bash next weekend, (I see a lot of looking at numbers ahead).

Jane
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Not meaning to hijack this interesting thread but has anyone got a solar panel on a JAL mushroom roof? We were told categorically not to put one on because of the weight but I'm sure I've seen one or two around with one, and they are very negligible weight surely?

Its something I keep thinking about and occasionally mentioning but She Who THINKS She Must Be Obeyed is very unsure so tends to file it in The Too Difficult Pile... :lol:

Thanks in advance.. :D
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:38 am

I've seen some of the low profile panels on a mushroom roof. The semi flexible ones aren't as efficient as framed panels like mine, especially when they get warm but a lot lighter.
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Paul. Roger fitted a flexi panel to my mushroom roof. No problems at all regarding lifting the roof, it was heavy any way but the panel does not add much more weight. I would'nt have thought you would notice to be honest.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:21 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Hi Paul. Roger fitted a flexi panel to my mushroom roof. No problems at all regarding lifting the roof, it was heavy any way but the panel does not add much more weight. I would'nt have thought you would notice to be honest.
The flexible panels are about 2kg. Nothing!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
Tertiary
Bongolier

Post by Tertiary » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:56 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:
tanglefoot wrote:Hi Paul. Roger fitted a flexi panel to my mushroom roof. No problems at all regarding lifting the roof, it was heavy any way but the panel does not add much more weight. I would'nt have thought you would notice to be honest.
The flexible panels are about 2kg. Nothing!
Thank you all for the info... It was actually Phil at JAL who said 'Nothing on the roof' but I was always of the opinion that it must be strong enough for a couple of elephants because it IS soo heavy! :lol:

Now to persuade The Boss Lady.... :lol: :lol:

Slightly scared now.... :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:
Paul

Today is a good day - tomorrow will be better

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”