Solar panel

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

janie
Bongolier

Solar panel

Post by janie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:53 am

Just ordered a solar panel - hope it's as good as I want it to be!

Jane
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Re: Solar panel

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:33 pm

I guess it depends on what you're expecting. I would say make sure your leisure battery is still up to scratch. Mines only 75MAH so I'm not making the most of the solar but it's working fine for now, I will upgrade to at least a 100May at some point.

Which panel and other bits did you buy?
Jamie, Caroline and the kids.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:35 pm

I have a 110Ah battery (new last summer) and I bought the panel from 'solar panel solutions' with the kit that comes with it.
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:53 pm

In that case I can't see you will be disappointed, I have the same panel from Roger and I'm delighted with it, even with my 25% less battery capacity.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm also very happy with the kit that Roger fitted to Tonto - does very well.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks for the replies.....does anyone run a coolbox from one, (would love a new fridge but can't really justify the expense after shelling out for the solar panel).
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:56 pm

I've got a Waeco compressor fridge and it runs well but I'm sure someone will come along regarding a coolbox. I do understand they do drain the leisure battery quicker than a fridge though.

I have the MPPT controller with my solar kit, meaning that I don't need sunlight, I don't need to tuck my rear end towards the south - just daylight is enough to charge the LB.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
Jimbobvfr400
Bongolier

Post by Jimbobvfr400 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:I've got a Waeco compressor fridge and it runs well but I'm sure someone will come along regarding a coolbox. I do understand they do drain the leisure battery quicker than a fridge though.

I have the MPPT controller with my solar kit, meaning that I don't need sunlight, I don't need to tuck my rear end towards the south - just daylight is enough to charge the LB.
Apart from replacing Waeco with a Vitrifrigo compressor fridge I agree with everything Jilly says.

With hindsight I don't think I'd bother with the remote display for the controller, it's quite a cool bit of kit but I find myself looking at it all the time, I should probably just let it do its thing but I can't, I'm constantly checking levels and charging rate. Maybe the novelty will wear off eventually though.
2002 V6 Aero AFT
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:20 pm

We got the panel from Roger too and had him fit it, super bit of kit.

I can't believe how expensive our fridge is to buy separately, it's a Waeco MDC 50 and they sell for £550.00 :shock: There's no way we would have bought that if it were not part of the conversion. Great fridge though.

Don't some (all?) coolboxes run all the time rather than on a thermostat, so you're zapping the leisure battery all the time and they're not even that efficient.

For touring continental Europe, solar + fridge = cool beer when you pitch up for the night :wink:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Coolboxes are really not suitable :-(
They draw a continuous 4 Amps, no matter the temperature or time of day.
Under really good sun a 100W solar panel will generate around 5Amps, so enough to run a coolbox during sunlight, and 1 Amp to charge the battery.
However once the sun has gone then you have around 12 hours of no sun which means you need an extra 4Amps * 12hours = 48AmpHours, when you only had 1Amp * 12Hours spare = 12AmpHours, now if you have a battery rated at 100AmpHours and you only want to discharge it to about 50% then you have 50/48=1Days of running a coolbox under IDEAL conditions, now normally you will want lighting, radio, charge phones, tablets etc........ so overnight your battery will be flat.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info....very useful. I've been looking at fridges (although been told I'm not allowed to buy one under any circumstances). Out of interest what do you think of absorption fridges...they seem much cheaper.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 pm

Absorption fridges are more efficient in that you can freeze, but they have the same problem as coolboxes they draw a constant 4Amps or so. The thing is compressor fridges store the compressed fluid until needed, neither coolboxes or absorption fridges have this feature so once they loose power they warm up.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:15 am

Jimbobvfr400 wrote:
Jillygumbo wrote:I've got a Waeco compressor fridge and it runs well but I'm sure someone will come along regarding a coolbox. I do understand they do drain the leisure battery quicker than a fridge though.

Apart from replacing Waeco with a Vitrifrigo compressor fridge I agree with everything Jilly says.

With hindsight I don't think I'd bother with the remote display for the controller, it's quite a cool bit of kit but I find myself looking at it all the time, I should probably just let it do its thing but I can't, I'm constantly checking levels and charging rate. Maybe the novelty will wear off eventually though.
But it would show if there was a problem, wouldn't it, and if you didn't have the remote controller, then you wouldn't know about it until everything had died!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:54 am

I have the kit from Dodgey with remote display. Couldn't be without the display, don't know how I would pass the time without it :lol:

I have the CDF-35 and while expensive, it is the mutts nuts, you have to be careful not to freeze everything by turning it down too low.
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:55 am

Some peltier type coolboxes are much more efficient than others from my experience of replacing a basic one with a Waeco Tropicool. The former simply let its fan run all the time, and had i suspect poor insulation. The latter spends a lot of time with the thermostatically controlled variable speed fan not wasting electricity by running. If i freeze my meals, chill my drinks and include freezer packs when i set off, the fan hardly needs to work at all for some time. So although not as efficient as a compressor fridge, its not a bad trade off between price and performance (i got one for £80 second hand off eBay and they can be got cheaper). One thing that doesn't get discussed enough is the greater efficiency of a top loading coolbox over a front loading fridge, as the latter dumps its cold air and lets in warm air every time the door is opened. It would be interesting to see for how long a Tropicool could be kept going on solar power

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”