Aldi Adventuridge cool box

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Aldi Adventuridge cool box

Post by Eratosthenes » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 pm

I recently purchased the Aldi cool box and very happy with it. (£40 and 3 year warranty). So far I have run it on mains voltage at home, stuck it in the bongo and then connected up to an ehu when I have arrived.The quoted power rating is 47 watts at 12vdc and I propose to use the rear 12v auxiliary socket. I have searched for the power rating of the rear socket but haven't come across it. I also dont know if anything else runs on this fused circuit. So can anyone advise me if auxiliary outlet can comfortably handle the cool box . Thanks Richf
callum
Bongolier

Re: Aldi Adventuridge cool box

Post by callum » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:58 am

Hi,
I haven't got any info on it unfortunately, but from my experience of replacing the rear panels i can say that the wires are very teeny tiny, so won't be super efficient for the cool box. Certainly better than nothing, but not in my opinion the best option.
I am soon to fit a new socket running straight from the leisure battery for this same reason.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:28 am

Callum

Thanks for the reply, I had something in the back of my mind about the "small" wiring.
I will be fitting a leisure battery in the next couple of weeks so I will incorporate something similar.
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:52 am

Morning rich. I have a similar cool box, but after reading up I decided not to use the rear socket for the above reason. I fitted an auxiliary fuse box (fits neatly behind the glovebox) off the LB and plug everything into that using suitably rated wiring. My side conversion had a space on the tall rear cupboard where I could fit in a 3-port unit with USB outlet, LB read-out and 12v outlets. The hardest part was routing the wiring. This has coped with all sorts of 12v gadgets including CB radio, Scanning radio, tyre compressor, coolbox, Avtex TV and charging laptops etc. Also runs a small microscope plugged into the laptop. I use the rear 12v socket to power a small Chinese stereo amplifier/radio and nothing else.
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:00 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Morning rich. I have a similar cool box, but after reading up I decided not to use the rear socket for the above reason. I fitted an auxiliary fuse box (fits neatly behind the glovebox) off the LB and plug everything into that using suitably rated wiring. My side conversion had a space on the tall rear cupboard where I could fit in a 3-port unit with USB outlet, LB read-out and 12v outlets. The hardest part was routing the wiring. This has coped with all sorts of 12v gadgets including CB radio, Scanning radio, tyre compressor, coolbox, Avtex TV and charging laptops etc. Also runs a small microscope plugged into the laptop. I use the rear 12v socket to power a small Chinese stereo amplifier/radio and nothing else.
Hi Tanglefoot
Thanks for taking time to reply.
I think this is the way ahead for me as I have a couple of radios too that I will use later on.
Just out of interest which way did you run the feed to the back? I know this isn't the easiest part of the
job, but at least if I know which way you went then all I have to do is struggle and persevere knowing that
it will work.
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:38 pm

yea no problem...An electrician mate gave me some black flexible tubing (dirt cheap off ebay). After connecting to aux. fuse-box all the wires were threaded down the tube using electricians pull-rods (cheap on ebay or at Aldi at the mo). At the bulkhead end I used cable-ties to secure that end. The tubing was (temp/perm?) routed along the bottom of the engine cowling cover, neatly secured with velcro at the back of the cowling, then along the floor to the back of the kitchen. From there it was along the floor at the back of the units, coming out inside the tall rear cupboard. Those pull-rods were extremely useful tools, but it can be done without. My mate pointed out that safety was prime and all wiring should be shielded along its entire length, hence the tubing and shrink wrap is important as well as neat.

I have several items coming off the Aux fuse box feed and all the wiring is fed through the tube, exiting where needed through the main tube wall, with a rubber grommet to protect wires.

Do not use scotch locks at any time! Use proper tools and connectors.

1. A good (not cheapo) crimping tool. The first one I bought fell apart after 2 crimps.....get a good ratchet crimper.
2. Good quality spade end connectors.
3. Shrink wrap tubing to match fittings
4. A Multi meter is a good investment, and knowledge of its use.
5. A small selection of 3-pole rocker switches with neon indicators to isolate gadgets when not needed and tell if gadget feed is live (saves battery juice). You can buy ready made panels complete with all the switches you need....but very expensive.
6. Electricians pull rods. Very very useful for all sorts of jobs, and cheap to buy. Invaluable in my view.

Sorry for the essay...I get carried away :lol:
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:27 am

Tanglefoot
Once again thanks for the info. You have covered what I needed to know and I am sure it will help me on other projects too, plus others who read this.
With regards to tools you have to buy the best you can afford otherwise false economy. Your crimping tool fell apart, mine wasn't much better but it has long gone. I have soldered and heat shrunk some of the jobs I have carried out. With regards to scotch locks, I thought the original ones were not bad for a temp job as long as it was temp, but I think their reputation has been ruined by all the cheap copies on the market.
Richf.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:32 am

Don't know if I've been doing it wrong but I've always used the rear socket to run my 12/240v cool box on 3 different bongos for 11 yrs.Never had a problem.Or maybe I've been lucky ?

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:50 am

Bongoplod wrote:Don't know if I've been doing it wrong but I've always used the rear socket to run my 12/240v cool box on 3 different bongos for 11 yrs.Never had a problem.Or maybe I've been lucky ?

Brian
Me too Brian! I daresay there's some energy saving to be had with heavier duty wiring but not enough to get me around to rewiring the socket. :roll:
Eratosthenes
Bongolier

Post by Eratosthenes » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:13 pm

Brian/Mike

Thanks for the comments.
Not knowledgeable in this area hence the question.
Have 400 mile trip in a couple of days, so will plug it in
and see how it goes, and report back.

Richf
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Yea, to be honest brian/mike I needed some extra 12v power take offs at the rear anyway. The surest way I knew that the wiring would take the load was to route straight from the LB and to not put to much pressure on the rear socket. Anyway, that was my way, and it gives me peace of mind. Has also been a learning curve with 12v wiring. From my researching it appears to me that opinions on what you can plug into the rear socket seem about 50/50. I just reckon that upping the odds in my favour lessen the chance of an electrical fault occurring.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”