Installing a hard floor

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

sotal
Supreme Being

Installing a hard floor

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Since owning the Bongo we've wanted to put a better floor in the rear. As it is the carpet gets filthy far to fast.

I've had a read of the fact sheet on here but that one removes the runners altogether. I still need the runners in place as we have an original bench seat in place.

We have long runners fitted but they don't need to be so long as the kitchen unit (mid conversion) stops the seat from travelling any further forward.

Is it possible/advisable to cut the runners down? I don't like modifying anything that is critical to safety.

If it is best to leave the full length runners in then is it easy enough to work around them with the flooring?

I don't mind just doing the square of floor in front of the kitchen unit if that makes it easier for me? It still looks tricky to get round the runner that is on the sliding door side though.

I currently have the kitchen unit out so that I could have a proper look.

Any thoughts?
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Installing a hard floor

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Been looking at it in further detail.

I'm wondering if I can just put the plyboard down the middle between the two runners and then put the Altro more or less level at the top? The the Altro would have to go over the old carpet to the side of the runners (only a small bit by the step and two small corners in the boot. This would allow it to slope down to the step from the runner.

Does that sound like it would work?

I was contemplating trying to go over the metal parts of the runner with the Altro and filling the channel so that it was hidden at the front but I think I'd then have to try and dip the floor at the back to give enough clearance for the seat to move back and forth.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”