DIY Replacement Flooring Progress

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

sotal
Supreme Being

Re: DIY Replacement Flooring Progress

Post by sotal » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:41 pm

Bob wrote:No worries, just didn't want you to overlook it. :)
I am half considering not gluing the floor down to the Bongo though. As it is at the moment it feels very stable - then it will have weight on it all the time as well from the kitchen, plus the weight of the boxes that live under the bench seat and I think I might countersink some bolts into the ply to allow me to bolt it down through a couple of the holes that are left from the seat rail - using a thinner bolt than the old seat rail bolts and a nut and washer tightened from below in the jack/tool area.

That way it will never move - as I cut the grooves around the seat rail mounting points I don't think it would move anyway! But the couple of bolts will make sure.

So if I glue the blocks to the ply but don't actually glue the blocks to the Bongo then if I did ever need to get to the floor for repairs then it would just lift back out again.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Makes a lot of sense. :)
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Doesn't look much different after today.

Got rid of any rust coloured bits - made sure everything had been treated with rust eater, and gave it a good coat of technogrip paint in all those areas - just the welding bits left for tomorrow.

Stuck all the wooden blocks onto the plyboard and had to leave the adhesive to set properly - the heavy bench seat made a good weight to go on top - along with a couple of full aqua rolls. Got the Altro roughly trimmed to the right sort of size.

So plyboard back out tomorrow, and welding done, then plyboard back in and then it's time to trim the Altro flooring to fit properly and stick it down and then refit everything else.

All going to plan so far.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:50 pm

Floor all welded up now, ply fitted back in and now bolted down too.

Started work on the step. Has anyone got a photo of where the step fits normally? Does it go behind the rubber door seals or does it press against them?

Next job tomorrow is to fit the safety flooring itself - then putting everything back in place.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Spent yesterday with the family so didn't get anything done except buying adhesive for the flooring, so had to double up today on the workload!

Gone well though:

Altro trimmed to size and stuck down.
Floor runner trim cut down to new size and fitted.
Fog light wiring repaired.
Side mouldings fitted back (with a little trimming to the floor and the panels!)
Kitchen placed back in
Bench seat put back in and bolted back down
Trimmed the step to fit properly at the top and made a upvc panel to go underneath

Also took the top cupboard out and trimmed about 3cm off the top to move it up as the kids kept banging their heads. Can't take anymore than that off - it is a little bit thinner than I would have liked at that now! Hopefully safer though.

Just a few faffy jobs to do tomorrow:

Screw kitchen in place
Screw mains fuse box and charger back in place
Wire up 13 Amp socket
Wire up 12v tap
Connect drainage
Stick the step down properly
Find and attach some trim for the boot to tidy up between the end of the flooring at the boot trim which sits lower.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:06 pm

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:34 pm

Man, that is SMART. =D> =D> =D>
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks, seems quite a bit of work just to make it easier to clean!

Total cost came in at about £85 but that was for ply, altro, wood, adhesive and the welding - so not too bad. Not taken to long I guess - It has taken about a week in total but I've done bits and bobs on it during that time, been out lots with the family too.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:15 pm

That's the sensible balance which gives everyone a good and peaceful life, well done. :D
callum
Bongolier

Post by callum » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:12 am

Really smart flooring, my wife wanted carpet , which wouldn't have been my choice, but then the van is hers...!
Really good job. Curious about the top cupboard being so close to old heads. It seems nuts to me to make something that is in such a critical spot in an accident. That's why i'll get about 2 tins of beans and that's about it in my top cupboard! Ha!
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:33 am

The last picture shows the top cupboard in place after I trimmed it. Before that it was another 3cm lower at the front edge. As you say it is madness to put it there and so low.

Incidentally we keep a range of bits in there, that stay in the bongo. Everything that was in there before still fits in.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Just the step and the boot trim left to sort now.

For those that have lifted the step like this, what did you use to stick the step in place?

Thanks
lenny_mc
Junior Bongonaut

Post by lenny_mc » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:08 pm

doing something similar to my own bongo at the moment but going with a laminate moisture proof laminated floor. Thanks for the pics!!
Jamespeterson
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Jamespeterson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:29 pm

I've just put down a new floor in my Bongo... changed it from carpet to wood. Firstly put insulation foam down, then some old real wood flooring. Sanded it all down and then painted it with some dark green waterproof industrial waterproof paint
Janner
Bongonaut

Post by Janner » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread but seems pointless making a new one for similar needs. I’ve been looking around and think I might pinch your blueprint here, I was just wondering what you put underneath the ply as support?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”