Conversion alternative

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Roy748
Bongolier

Conversion alternative

Post by Roy748 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi to those interested
I have own a 2001 areo city runner for 2 years now and during that time, like many I suspect I have toyed with converting it. But each time I was not convinced I wanted to lose the space within the van, did not really have a need for a sink and also I wanted to retain the ability to carry 7 passengers, also not knowing where I would store the seats once removed.
After searching without success on line for a "storage box" that would fit on the rear seats when folded down I opted to build one myself.
My criteria was to be as light but sturdy as possible, removable, to fit on the rear seat when folded down but not to obstruct my rear view, to be able to store all my camping cooking essentials etc and the big challenge, to be able to access it all from either inside or outside the vehicle.
After searching on line, as I intended to build it using 12mm ply wood, I found a company selling 12mm T trim which was essential for a good finish, at £20 For 10 meters I thought this was a good price. For those interested I can give a more detailed cost break down of all parts etc required.
As mentioned earlier my biggest challenge was gaining access to all items, as due to the size I knew I would need to include shelves to maximise storage. Gaining access from outside was simple as I included 3 doors giving me easy access, however when in the vehicle, on a rainy day for example I needed to retain that easy access.
This was achieved by adding a double lid on the box and shelves on hinges. Then I could open one side only and remove items from that side, placing them on the other lid therefore allowing me to flip the shelf up to access items below, both lids are supported by gas struts. The only way to fix the struts was via the sides of the middle compartment as otherwise the struts would impinge on the shelf flipping up.
I have also added a drop down shelf on the front of the box which provides a sturdy shelf for cooking, washing up on etc from the outside on a warm sunny day.
Since completion I have also constructed a "cup cupboard" one above the window as I had all the materials following my initial purchase (2×2.4m ply board and 30 meters of 12mm T trim)
To finish off the cup cupboard I added an LED strip light plus a twin USB charging port coupled with a volts meter so I can monitor the leisure batterys health.
I will try to post some photos but suspect, i will be informed they are two big. If anyone is interested in seeing them I am happy to email them if you PM me
If like me you are interested in converting I believe I have found a great alternative that gives great storage whilst retaining the van in all its glory.
As expected I cannot upload any photos as too large. If someone can help upload them that would be great. I can either email them to you or you can explain how I can upload them myself.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Conversion alternative

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:55 pm

Sounds fab - we love pics and there's advice on how to post them, if you search old threads. Not as easy as on facebook, but doable
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm

I will take a look as photos really do it justice
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Sounds brilliant. =D>
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:06 am

Hopefully this link will work

http://imgur.com/gallery/VaTeZs2

Happy to give more details if anyone should require.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 am

Excellent stuff!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:47 am

Roy748 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:06 am Hopefully this link will work

http://imgur.com/gallery/VaTeZs2

Happy to give more details if anyone should require.
Really nice job. I particularly approve of the flip down shelf/counter, which makes sense of the whole thing. I did something similar with mine years back and it proved more useful than i could have imagined. Great when organising things between compartments as well as setting things out for use. Great for picnics under the tailgate etc. You don't see this idea used often enough. =D>
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:04 am

Hi Mike.
Thanks for your comment. It was a joy to make as it's not often I get chance to play with my tools. We have only done a few test runs with it but already enjoy the aspect of having access to everything whilst in the vehicle. I totally agree with you in regards to this concept not being seen much, yet for us it offers all the storage we require without compromising on the space within the van especially with regards to the sleeping arrangements.
Total parts cost was around £250 which I thought was very reasonable. It could be done cheaper but the finish was a high priority.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Looks great, do you have the fold up rear seats or the bench?

How do the high level presses impact on head room for the seats?
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Hello Aikers
My van has the bench types seats both the middle and rear, so can only be moved forward and back. The unit was designed to sit on the rear most bench seat when folded down and at a height that would not affect my rear view or the headrest for potential passengers.
As for the cup cupboard, I am 6 foot and when seated at our table, which is fixed on a rail below the window line, I have about 2cm clearance, naturally if I sit tall I could reach it but being it's relatively slim it's not in any way awkward.
It is fixed in place by removing the 2 high level grab rails and using those bolts and location as fixing points via a fabricated steel bracket along with a 30mm L shape bar which hooks over the roof access lip. (In photos it is covered in grey felt to partially hide it and to avoid condensation forming on it when sleeping in van)
My thoughts were I wanted it removable but in a way that it would not leave any visible drilled fixing holes.
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Post by AndyS95 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Great work Roy!
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Hello AndyS95
Thank you for your comments.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 pm

That looks very smart, practical and professional! Good work!
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Thank you.. I am a sports therapist by profession so others who may contemplate making their own should give it a try.
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 pm

Roy748 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm As for the cup cupboard, I am 6 foot and when seated at our table, which is fixed on a rail below the window line, I have about 2cm clearance, naturally if I sit tall I could reach it but being it's relatively slim it's not in any way awkward.
Thanks for that, so you could still fit three persons sitting on either of the bench seats with them installed?

I've seen a template for them in the members section, is that what you used?

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”