Vinyl or Cloth

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Mickyboyblue
Apprentice Bongonaut

Vinyl or Cloth

Post by Mickyboyblue » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:04 pm

Hello all,

I’m in the process of having a full conversion from JAL. I can’t decide on cloth upholstery or vinyl. I don’t like vinyl as a rule being sticky in the summer and cold in the winter and would much rather have cloth, but we have 2 small children and a dog to factor in. Dog hair, dropped ice creams, vomit, muddy paws and sand from the beach all come to mind. My head tells me vinyl would be the practical option, but cloth is so much more comfortable. I don’t want to cover the seats either as what’s the point of having a nice new r and r bed and covering it up.
Any opinions and experiences?
Flanners
Bongolier

Re: Vinyl or Cloth

Post by Flanners » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:41 am

Cloth for me, vinyl was a nightmare when I was a kid in the 70's in my Dad's Renault 4. You could have the cloth treated with stain repellent and if the worst happens Halfords fabric car seat cleaner is superb and rated very highly too.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
ade33
Bongolier

Post by ade33 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 am

I would go cloth with seat covers for the winter. A bit of mud will dry off and hoover out, along with any sand.

Vomit and dropped ice-creams - this happens, you're right. But pretty rarely (?) and less as your tiddlers get bigger.

Stainguard treatments work wonders, and there's usually a neighbour with a wet-vac that will get most things out (I'm that neighbour :D )
Whatwouldgordondo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Whatwouldgordondo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Probably a bit too late to reply to this thread but we went for a vinyl that was perforated so it doesn't make you sweaty when you lay on it and it's hard wearing and easy to keep clean :D
Mr & Mrs B in a bongo called Gordon constantly asking "what would Gordon do?"

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”