Advice pre a sad farewell

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

cushers
Bongolier

Advice pre a sad farewell

Post by cushers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:19 pm

Admin, please move or delete if not allowed her.

Hi all looking for advice.
My much loved Freda has come to the end of her serviceable life due to rust. Was willing to pay to have her completely sorted but it doesn’t make financial sense anymore so looking to sell her for parts. Fully functioning side conversion with swivel passenger seat. Everything is in above average condition with ehu, leisure battery etc.

Any idea what I should ask for as a whole? I can price bits up individually but reckoned that she should be cheaper to buy as a job lot.

Currently on the Isle of Man so not looking to sell her on here. Just hoping for supportive advice.

Kindest regards Graeme
sotal
Supreme Being

Re: Advice pre a sad farewell

Post by sotal » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Price depends on what you have.

You would normally always get more selling the parts separately especially the 'good' parts.

Is it an AFT? Is it petrol or diesel? Is it Auto or Manual? Alloys or steels?

The conversion would probably be easy enough to remove and sell on its own without really impacting on the value of what is left.

You could sell the swivel seat for a good amount.

Space and time are the usual constraints in breaking a vehicle and not wanting to be left with a difficult to shift lump. You can go in the middle though and remove bits like I mentioned above along with bits of interior trim that are common for breaking (window switches, electric blinds, etc.) leaving enough to still be a movable vehicle - then get a scrappy to pick the remains up or drive it to the scrappy if you still have relevant mot etc.

Is the rust definitely a killer for this one? What has gone? Can you have a cheaper job done elsewhere to just get it running - I know of 1 bongo owner who didn't have the money to get the bodywork sorted properly - so had the rust cut out, then welded up, but then just had the patches painted with rust protector and black paint until they could afford later to have it filled and sprayed properly. Got them through the MOT - don't know if they ended up ever filling and spraying it though.
cushers
Bongolier

Post by cushers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks so much for your reply.
95 TD. Alloys, collant alarm, all coolant pipes renewed 3 years ago. New disks, pads calipers etc all round last August.

Rust definitely terminal. Have an unfitted rear cross member too. Rust isn’t just cosmetic, it’s very structural and we use her for a lot of miles.

Thanks again for your advice. Will put her on the Facebook pages over here as there are a few owners. Than start parting her out of no joy. Thanks again

Graeme
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:46 pm

I can't really help with advice, but a very sad time for you. :(
cushers
Bongolier

Post by cushers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks Bob.
I didn’t think I would be as gutted as I am. More than a camper. Will miss the knowledge base of this forum too. Some exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful people on here.

G
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:24 pm

If rust really is that bad then another possibility might be to buy a solid basic Bongo and move your conversion over. Then part out what you can from the old one and scrap the remains.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring! But seriously, it has to be pretty bad before rust problems can't be sorted, albeit at a cost. Is she still driveable / road legal? If so could you consider talking to people like Bongospares or Kloonsy (cant recall his trading name) in Yorkshire with a view to som serious restoration work? Muzorewa had theirs done recently at Bongospares and had serious work done for serious money BUT it made financial sense if it have them a few more years of The Best Little Campervan on the Planet :-) And the suggestions above are good also. Good luck and keep us posted.
cushers
Bongolier

Post by cushers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks guys
It really is that bad! It was very old under seal holding her together. In the upside I have an unused rear cross member coming on the market when I pull myself together. New base vehicle is something I have considered but living in the island make things much more challenging.

Thanks again for kind words and advice

Graeme
cushers
Bongolier

Post by cushers » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:06 pm

So here’s an update.

I may be in a position soon to have an overheating MPV bongo to put my Freda conversion AND ENGINE in to.

I have no experience of a job of this magnitude is it even possible? is it worth the financial expense? Are there any things that are not compatible that I need to know about? I would need to get the vast majority of this work done by a garage and fitted by someone.

Advice and opinion gratefully received

Graeme
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 am

Assuming the 'new' vehicle has the same engine as yours financial viability will depend on what you are paying for it.

Well worth looking into. :wink:
cushers
Bongolier

Post by cushers » Wed May 01, 2019 10:11 pm

Thanks Bob
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 01, 2019 10:31 pm

Bongo Spares and Wheelquick aren't too far 'Across'. :wink:
cushers
Bongolier

Post by cushers » Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Final sad update.

So all the welding that has been done to date on the receiving bongo is best described as suspect and transplanting the conversion and having the leisure / EHU plus transplanting an engine is just a stretch too far for me.

I'll be parting mine out and will offer bits on here first if I can't sell her as a whole over here (postage rates are same as UK and couriers are pretty good). Thanks for all of your help and encouragement.

Graeme
The Vincent Family
Junior Bongonaut

Post by The Vincent Family » Thu May 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Going through something similar Graeme but hoping it isn’t terminal. Our Bongo is in a garage as I write being assessed and priced up for welding.
The Vincent Family
Junior Bongonaut

Post by The Vincent Family » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:36 pm

My Bongo is about to undergo some serious welding work to hopefully remedy a massive rust problem. To help with this I need a copy of the Service Manual for a Friendee 2.5 V6 diesel. Does anyone out there in Bongoland have one that we can buy/borrow/rent please?
With thanks and fingers crossed,
The Vincent Family

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”