Diesel heaters

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Red
Apprentice Bongonaut

Diesel heaters

Post by Red » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:01 pm

Hello there,
I'm looking to install a diesel heater into my 96' P reg 2.5 TD bongo (non pop up)
I'm sure this has come up many times, I will be reading into older posts, anyone with the time to answer my post I am very much grateful, everyone on this forum has been more than accommodating, makes me feel part of a wonderous community, especially when giving/receiving beeps/toots/waves from fellow Bongo drivers :D
I'm wondering where within the vehicle is a good installation location for a diesel heater?
The back of my vehicle comprises of a double bed, currently taking up maximum space, I am concerned that under a bed with boxes is not a suitable spot for a heater and am currently converting the bed to a single, giving me room down the sliding door side of my vehicle, however I read briefly in a previous post that someone installed a heater beneath the passenger seat(??)
Any help on the subject welcome.
Model of heater.
Do's and dont's etc.

Thanking you muchly,
Red
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Diesel heaters

Post by Bob » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:13 pm

I've certainly heard of these being fitted under the n/s seat, nicely out of the way.

Eberspacher and Webasto are the big players, but I've read on here of Chineese ones being fitted with good results and good savings.

Don't go too big, these heaters are much happier at full chat rather than constantly cycling on the thermostat. :wink:
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Fitted mine (genuine Eberspacher, others might be a different size so measure first!) under the passenger seat. If you don't have the winter kit there is plenty of room. You can use 2 threaded holes in the chassis rail to mount a base plate (you need some spacers to clear the ridge on the chassis rail - I used some aluminium bar cut to length off Ebay). Full can be tapped into on the other side of the van under the driver seat and the hot air can be routed to a hole cut in the back of the central hump. Took me a day to fit all in all but you could probably do it quicker

I've probably got some photos somewhere if that would help. There's a also a fact sheet in the member's area
Donnie
Bongonaut

Post by Donnie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:06 am

Seems to be plenty of Eberspacher ones on ebay second hand for less than £300 which seems reasonable.
'96 AWD 2.5 diesel with AFT

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”