JAL sub 2m pop top roof

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

rallen
Apprentice Bongonaut

JAL sub 2m pop top roof

Post by rallen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:22 am

Hey everyone!

Newbie here so apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

I have seen that JAL are offering a super slim pop to roof for the bongo. Has anyone here had one fitted or seen one?

I like the idea of being under 2m but I'm unsure whether to go for it or not.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

https://www.jalimports.co.uk/camper-roofs.html
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: JAL sub 2m pop top roof

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:24 am

Hi, welcome aboard.

I've not seen one of those in the flesh, but it looks really slick.

Main thing is make sure you can operate it easily. Some aftermarket roofs have to be operated from outside and require carrying a ladder/long pole. Not sure how this operates, and anyhow, it's not a problem if you're happy with it.
rallen
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by rallen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 am

Thanks for the welcome Bob :D

I am not sure how it operates - The guy I spoke to on the phone wasn't particularly forthcoming with details for it.
I'll try and find out some more about it

He also said he doesn't have any that he can show me in person currently so I am really looking to see if anyone has this roof fitted or can recommend it.

I fear I could be making an expensive mistake with the little info I have
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Do actually try out these after-market roofs, lots of problems with rusting hinges (not stainless steel) poor internal ventilation (condensation and mould), heavy lifting several members have sold on there vehicles to get lighter roofs!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:03 pm

Depends how quickly you want your Bongo, how much you need to stay below 2 metric yards height, and how much you need a pop up roof.

You could ask Phil to let you know when he has got one you can see, and if you're buying the vehicle from him ask if you can take it with the tin-top with the option to have a lift up jobby fitted once you've seen one for real.

Someone may yet have one you could look at. [-o<
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:27 pm

rallen wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:33 am Thanks for the welcome Bob :D

I am not sure how it operates - The guy I spoke to on the phone wasn't particularly forthcoming with details for it.
I'll try and find out some more about it

He also said he doesn't have any that he can show me in person currently so I am really looking to see if anyone has this roof fitted or can recommend it.

I fear I could be making an expensive mistake with the little info I have
I called this chap a year or so ago about the very same thing, he was most unhelpful bordering on rude and stated the aftermarket pop top's came fitted to vans he supplies....end of conversation. Looks a nice roof especially as it is sub 2m when fitted. Have read posts on here stating that some aftermarket pops are like saunas in the Summer with as stated above condensation issues especially in the Winter.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:00 am

Just a thought, is your van registered as a camper with DVLA? Have you seen the new guidance re pop tops? It changes things dramatically for re-registering a Bongo and other vans. The guidance is draconian requiring a hi-top (pop tops do not meet the requirement anymore!!!) and 'graphics' on the side of the vehicle, apparently end of last year DVLA had rejected the majority of conversion requests with it's rejection rate at over 1700% on the previous years.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”