DVLA Regulations: thinking of converting your van?

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Flanners
Bongolier

DVLA Regulations: thinking of converting your van?

Post by Flanners » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:15 am

Guidance has been out a few months, but there has been little discussion on here about the ramifications of the 'new' regulations? I may be wrong on that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-caravan

The rules on registering/classifying a vehicle as a motor caravan/camper appear to have changed, so if your van is not already registered as a motor caravan and you are thinking of re-registering with a conversion etc the page above may be useful.

DVLA have decided to regulate ('clarify') that UK camper van owner's have to now dispaly motor caravan 'graphics' on both of the sides of their vehicle (!) and that a pop top is no longer allowed as a qualifying external feature anymore it has to be a hi-top..and an 'awning bar' (figure of 8?) is fitted along the whole of one side..apparently this is so that emergency services are able to ascertain quickly that you are driving a camper van :shock: (like I believe that given they say a van can still be used as a camper just not re-registered as one!).

"The body type of your vehicle will not be changed unless its exterior looks like a motor caravan in traffic."

Obviously your van can be converted and used as a camper but if it does not meet the new requirements then it cannot be re-registered as a motor caravan; as many on here have testified the insurance savings for a Bongo as a 'motor caravan' are considerable. Not sure how this is playing out with converters/importers of Bongo's?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: DVLA Regulations: thinking of converting your van?

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:38 am

That's an office type for you.

Personaly I credit our emergency workers with a great deal of common sense. In an emergency will they really check for an awning rail first. :lol:

Good info on how difficult it is now. 8)
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Re: DVLA Regulations: thinking of converting your van?

Post by cwilliams255 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:35 pm

My previous bongo I reclassified, took everything out of it and put it in new one which I now can’t reclassify - hah :D

Insurance weren’t bothered, I just had to sign a form to say that it has been converted and met previous dvla guidelines, bed, fridge, sink etc and price was same, all good

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”