Fitting back swivel seat

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

marrow
Junior Bongonaut

Fitting back swivel seat

Post by marrow » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:17 pm

Hi everyone. Our Bongo has swivelling rear seat, put in by the company that converted it (we bought it off the next owner). When I took it in for its service today the mechanic looked it over and said that relevant safety test for them is the ‘pull’ test. If it turns out not to have been tested, or I can’t find out, I’d probably try to get it replaced with one that has been tested as the kids are in those seats and I want to know they’re safe.

Does anyone know of converters that will fit a swivel seat in the back, please?
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Re: Fitting back swivel seat

Post by Bongolia » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:21 pm

I doubt if you will find a tested seat that swivels for the Bongo.
I havnt been able to any that have proper approval.
Is the swivelling essential to the layout of the van?
If not why not replace it with a non swivel type or reverse a non swivel one.
marrow
Junior Bongonaut

Post by marrow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:13 am

Ah, OK. The conversion probably does need the swivel seat to work properly. It's a rear conversion with two little storage boxes in front which double as seats. You swivel the passenger seat round and get a nice 4 person set up to sit and have a cup of tea. But safety is more important and I guess we could try to re-work it - remove the storage area and have two sets of seats facing each other or figure something else out.

Where can you get replacement standard rear seats from and how much do they tend to cost?

Thanks for your advice.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:30 am

First try the converters, they often throw out the rear seats, then Bongo Spares, Sowerby Bridge, or a 'wanted' ad on here. Might be lucky.

Cost will be whatever you agree with the seller.

However - Make sure the runners haven't been removed or covered over by the flooring. That will complicate things. :wink:
marrow
Junior Bongonaut

Post by marrow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:30 pm

Great, thank you! New Dawn have some in stock but it's a fair drive up from London and back in a day to get there, so hoping for something closer to home. Is the best place to look on the converters page on here? Or do you know of any in the South East? We have the rails and carpet doesn't cover them as the seat we have slides back and forth as well as swivelling, so that should all be fine. Thanks again!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:08 pm

Sorry, other than the ads on here I don't know any converters, but someone might.

Maybe worth enquiring about using a carrier? Might cost less than the fuel.

Be aware that the seat is bloomin' heavy, really heavy, so get a pal to help swap them over, and you may even be able to sell the swivel one. :wink:
marrow
Junior Bongonaut

Post by marrow » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Good to know, thank you! I’ll ask at the garage where they’re servicing it too - they might know of somewhere nearer. Thanks both for the help!
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:21 am

Not sure where you are in London but you could try Martin on 02087600650 mob 07870604342.
May be able to help with seat too.
Croydon area.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 pm

The swivel seat has locking bolts to aid security. I have mine facing to the rear mostly and it is basically locked against the front seats so cannot move and is secured on the runners. I have every faith in it more so than R&R beds etc. Not sure why you are worried or what your worry is?
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:02 pm

marrow wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:13 am Where can you get replacement standard rear seats from and how much do they tend to cost?
If you’re patient you might pick them up for nothing, otherwise £50-£100. I gave mine away on Facebook bongo group as I didn’t have the space to keep them for £50 or so
WestyK
Bongolier

Post by WestyK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:54 pm

There are usually loads on eBay.

May find some more local
marrow
Junior Bongonaut

Post by marrow » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:01 pm

It’s with Martin now actually, he’s the person doing the service. I’ll ask him about it.

I’ll keep an eye out, thank you - I had a look on eBay but none that match the upholstery so far. Good to have an idea of general cost though, thank you!

Flanners, my worry is that it’s very wobbly and it’s the seat that the children ride in. We can’t talk to the people who converted it, they aren’t in business any more. So I can’t check if it was crash tested at all or what there is to make sure it stays on the base securely if there’s a crash so I just don’t feel happy taking the risk. If it was just the two of us and we wanted it for sitting in when parked up I’d have no worries. I think the rock n roll beds are tested to some standard actually, but the swivel seats don’t seem to be - or at least I can’t find a converter which fits ones that are tested.

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”