Bongo Roof Cover

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

hembramacho
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Roof Cover

Post by hembramacho » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:33 pm

To add, we've used ours a number of times by now - still very impressed with it.

Cheers

Andrew
ImageGwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.Image
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Yes, they are really good, and excellent value for money. They are cheaper than the ones we stock in the club shop, but feedback suggests ours are easier to fit because of the nylon enforcing rods down the seams.

668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:55 am

Hi
I don't do winter camping over here, but looking at both versions, I'd go for the Club Shop one any day of the week!...superbly made!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:20 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
I don't do winter camping over here, but looking at both versions, I'd go for the Club Shop one any day of the week!...superbly made!
Cheers
Helen
Is that a pic of the club one in Ian's post?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:09 am

mikeonb4c wrote:Is that a pic of the club one in Ian's post?
Yes it is.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 am

Hi Mike
Yes it is!...It's easy to fix, by the look of it...Hembramacho says his is O.K. and it appears to be insulated, and not just a "bag"...Regarding the possibility of roof lifting in the wind, I have a sneaky plan which will brace the roof!....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 am

Hi
Ooops...just beat me, Ian
Cheers
Helen
Jazzybhoy
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jazzybhoy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:40 pm

Cheers
Helen
For someone who hasn't tested or seen either versions that's a bit of an assumption.

I haven't seen the 'club' version but I own the other one, it goes over the whole roof which the 'club' version doesn't , it's extremely we'll made and takes less than 2 minutes to erect.

Bit of an assumption but I would go for the comfortzleisure roof any day :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:12 pm

It's an interesting dilemma because they are totally different approaches and both seem like quality items. I just happened to have a chance of getting the comfortnz and have to say it suits me well so far. I've got a DIY roof tent liner also though I'm sleeping downstairs mainly these days.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:15 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi Mike
Yes it is!...It's easy to fix, by the look of it...Hembramacho says his is O.K. and it appears to be insulated, and not just a "bag"...Regarding the possibility of roof lifting in the wind, I have a sneaky plan which will brace the roof!....
Cheers
Helen
Oh I've had that plan for years (bracing struts) but just never got round to implementing it. One day!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:54 am

Jazzybhoy wrote:
Cheers
Helen
For someone who hasn't tested or seen either versions that's a bit of an assumption.

I haven't seen the 'club' version but I own the other one, it goes over the whole roof which the 'club' version doesn't , it's extremely we'll made and takes less than 2 minutes to erect.

Bit of an assumption but I would go for the comfortzleisure roof any day :)
Hi
Errr...
Not an assumption, but 49 years of camping experience, and 10 years of Bongoing, to add to quite a few years of VW owning/ restoring/ re-converting camper.
The Club one fits where it should, fastens where it should, and no bits of extraneous elastic. The club one is insulated, you still get the roof window, and there's no problem with a roof rack or solar panel.
I have been winter camping in my time...tents, campers, caravans, but where we live now, winters are between minus 20 C and minus 30 C....you're welcome to try :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:09 am

Having not seen the club shop one I cant comment other than to say that it is similar to the ones the VW folks use....
I have helped to put on a Comfortz leisure one and as I have a Mazda Factory one myself with the zip open front "window" flap I can obviously comment on both of those.... The Comfortz is a little snug when new and the fittings are "okay", compared to the factory one they don't come even close with the hooks and buckles that one has.

I was going to make these and asked for interest, when I gave an approximate price most here drew breath through their teeth,told me it was way too expensive and so I never took it further.....now they are happy to pay the cash out , in fact more than what I was going to make them for.... :roll: :roll: .... I managed to get a factory cover for 1/4 of the price in the end... :wink:
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 am

mikexgough wrote:Having not seen the club shop one I cant comment other than to say that it is similar to the ones the VW folks use....
I have helped to put on a Comfortz leisure one and as I have a Mazda Factory one myself with the zip open front "window" flap I can obviously comment on both of those.... The Comfortz is a little snug when new and the fittings are "okay", compared to the factory one they don't come even close with the hooks and buckles that one has.

I was going to make these and asked for interest, when I gave an approximate price most here drew breath through their teeth,told me it was way too expensive and so I never took it further.....now they are happy to pay the cash out , in fact more than what I was going to make them for.... :roll: :roll: .... I managed to get a factory cover for 1/4 of the price in the end... :wink:
I'd be interested to see a picture of the buckles and fixings on the factory one Mike. Certainly the comfortnz one could do a little better I think though it doesn't seem to affect it.

Solar panels is a big consideration Helen, hence my interest in demountable panels.

The big pluses of the comfortnz one for me are it prevents wind from getting under the roof overhang (reducing strain on it hopefully) as well as keeping driving rain away from any vulnerable leak-points. It should also help reduce noise of AFT tent flapping in a wind by acting as an outer baffle. And I like the ease of fitting it.

Lots of alternative plus points for the club one mind you, so I'm not going to say one is better than the other!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:33 am

Hi Mike
I was going to fit an extra awning loop on the driver's side with Rivnuts, and use webbing straps to the Bongo roof to stop wind lift!
Anyway, regarding sleeping, I've slept in the AFT in just what I was wearing in Northern Greece in mid-winter, and no sleeping bag, and no mattress. so, for me, creature comforts aren't a must, and the need for a cover tent isn't my "thing". Tony and I have done plenty of "roughing it", and it's only recently I've started to go for things like electric hookups . I still prefer to go "stone-age", as I think a bit of suffering is good for the soul. I used to prefer riding my motorbikes in winter, too, as everyone else likes summer, and biking is far nicer and lonesome in the cold and wet!....and a challenge!....
Anyway, Tony likes his comforts now, so Leccy it is!...
When we wintered in a caravan for 6 months, prior to coming here, I didn't use the heating at night...minus 7 C outside, so not too cold, and only minor frost inside, and I can't say it's suffering at all.
But...back to the thread, I like to support the club, and the roof tent cover Ian sells, is most definitely an item thought out to cover things like roof racks and fittings, with some strong buckles and straps, and no chance of anything flapping, and looking at the specification, It's what I would go for based on my experience over the years, and in this day of internet shopping, I can tell what's what :wink:
Oh...My Bongo is nearly complete, now, after a break in the middle for house restoration! ...Long-distance touring soon!
Cheers
Helen
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 pm

I reckon struts would be the most effective as I think flutter and asymmetric loading are the real evils. Mind you, i'd need to identify suitable strong attachment points. Really of course, the comfortnz design acts as a big roof strap as well as a wind/turbulence baffle. :roll:

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”