Waeco 40L 3-way (CAB-40?) - opinion sought...

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Waeco 40L 3-way (CAB-40?) - opinion sought...

Post by Driver+Passengers » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:46 am

I've seen one little-used one locally for £85.

I've currently got the Aldi/Lidl 23L or whatever it was... 18deg below ambient, I think - bit crap, really. The Waeco is larger, 30 deg below ambient, ice-cube tray works when running on gas I believe. Understand I may need to uprate 12V wiring for driving use and try not to use when parked up, also may go for hook-up on site "one of these days". But also, like the idea of "off-grid" gas power.

Worth it, in anyone's experience?
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Steptoe
Bongonaut

Re: Waeco 40L 3-way (CAB-40?) - opinion sought...

Post by Steptoe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:13 pm

I bought a DOMETIC COMBICOOL RC 1700 yesterday afternoon. It is already in my house chilling my cider for next weekend less than 24 hours later! 41l capacity, 30 degrees below ambient. Already got ice on the chiller.

There were no good used examples of 3-way fridges available within collecting distance that I could find, so I decided to buy new. I already have a spare gas cylinder with regulator & hose, so will be running from this over the weekend, then off the hookup next week. Reviews were pretty good for this model.

Have to say that service from MGD Online has been excellent so far with free next-day delivery as well - even told me which hour it would be delivered. I paid £220 which seemed a good deal compared to other sites, although I have just found the same available for £190 (+£4.99 next-day delivery) at http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/cool/portable.htm. B*gger!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:44 pm

We have a Royal brand 3 way ..... haven't used it for a few years but it works fine....
The Waeco is similar to this one.... right here goes... 12v... useless....just a fan whirring away with little chance of cooling it down.... 240v...you have it made as it works well...but... on Gas...these things are brilliant.

So if you want off grid then use it on gas....or better still save the pennies...go solar and a compressor fridge...
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:27 pm

Remember when on gas you need the correct ventilation
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks, folks.

Bought it.

It just fits where I want it to. Hopefully it will sit in the kitchen where I want it to... it's a thing of beauty! :D :lol:
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”