COBB® BARBECUE COOKING SYSTEM?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

tanglefoot
Bongolier

COBB® BARBECUE COOKING SYSTEM?

Post by tanglefoot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:53 am

I was looking for a decent, portable cooking system for wild camps and came across these. Has anyone used them? Looks pretty good but can they hack it? Nothing like roast chicken first thing in the morning.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: COBB® BARBECUE COOKING SYSTEM?

Post by Driver+Passengers » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:58 am

I never have - I know there's a few folk do.

Have you seen this thread? :D

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... hilit=cobb
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:36 am

I've had one for a few years. Great to use once you get the hang of it but cooks, smokes anything from a sausage to a leg of lamb. With the additional accessories can also be used as a conventional cooker. Bit expensive was my only gripe but I got it cheap so not too many complaints. Well worth using the genuine fuel. Again expensive but is better than anything else I've tried.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:42 pm

Damn you. Just started looking Cobb BBQ's, never knew I need one of those!!!!!
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Thanks Driver+Passengers, brilliant post....Sorry Mark, it's just the thought of cooking outside in the wild, preferably next to water, under the stars with my girlie by my side.....ohhhhh I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK..sleep all night and drink all day.......Ahem....these Cobbs look just the job.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:14 pm

tanglefoot wrote:Thanks Driver+Passengers, brilliant post....Sorry Mark, it's just the thought of cooking outside in the wild, preferably next to water, under the stars with my girlie by my side.....ohhhhh I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK..sleep all night and drink all day.......Ahem....these Cobbs look just the job.
I have a son of hibachi currently, the cobb looks smaller, but more practical.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:29 pm

The best bit of cooking equipment I've got. Cooks everything well and without burning. As above use the Cobblestone as fuel, a bit expensive but makes everything easy. We use it in the back garden rather than a traditional BBQ - it's that good.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:56 pm

We have used a Cobb for a few years now. Works well but not as funky as Matt's wedding cake arrangement of hot pots. :) I find a griddle or a gillie by my side is more use than a girlie! ;)
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Ive had a cobb for 6 yrs,superb peice of camping kit. I was lucky tp be bought the premiun with all the accessories as a retirement present,so saved me a fortune in buying it all. Wouldnt be without it.
Have a look at the website,there are videos for tv program review for the gadget show and recipes

http://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk/

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Picked up a Cobb from Lakeland this afternoon after not realising I needed one until today!!!!

Got the griddle plate too, will get a frying pan and roasting rack.
happybus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by happybus » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Was in a similar frame of mind a while ago, to COBB or not to COBB... in the end I went to a CADAC Safari as the multi-use cooking with gas was great. been using it in the garden and on the road, great piece of gear. And cheaper to run.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:39 am

Cooked on the COBB at the weekend, it's a great piece of kit, really pleased with it.

The food still has the BBQ'd flavour, but without the raging inferno of flame whenever some fat drips out of the food, thus saving on smoke, singed arm hair & burnt food.
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 am

Thanks for that mark. Was it easy to clean..much mess?? Probably heading for Chelters Lakeland on Tuesday and try it out this week-end somewhere near Snowdonia/Bala.
Mark Elvin
Tribal Elder

Post by Mark Elvin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:03 am

tanglefoot wrote:Thanks for that mark. Was it easy to clean..much mess?? Probably heading for Chelters Lakeland on Tuesday and try it out this week-end somewhere near Snowdonia/Bala.
All of the fat drips off into the bowl around the outside of the charcoal, just tossed it in the dishwasher when home.

My only criticism is the Cobb fuel doesn't burn as long as I'd have hoped for, but it does light super quick, ready for cooking withing 5mins, may try normal briquets next time for a comparison.
tanglefoot
Bongolier

Post by tanglefoot » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:11 am

Sounds good then..As I am a coalman I will try out some of our products as well. I will let you know what results I get. I know some of the show traders and visiting German Bratwurst sellers have had good results with something called OXBOW GLOW.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”