Camping chairs

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

sotal
Supreme Being

Camping chairs

Post by sotal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:37 am

I'm amazed at the number of questions I'm asking but there seems such a wealth of knowledge on here!

Here is a rather trivial question but as you all have experience in this I thought it would be worth asking!

Adult camping chairs....

We'd like a couple that stay in the Bongo permanently. We had (have still got but ready to throw away) the type that fold up into a long shape: These sort...

They are ready to throw away because the poles in the rear have exited through the top of the caps in the back part - I have made repairs with washers and screws and all sorts to keep them going but they're ready to go.

They were handy due to their size when folded - however I found them pretty uncomfortable to sit on. When sitting I like to lean back at an obtuse angle but they didn't allow this and if you relaxed you ended up at more of an acute angle - you could kind of force it to a right angle but then weren't relaxed.

So really I was after something better but without taking a huge amount of space up as they will need to stay in the Bongo.

I'm thinking just a pair of standard old type deckchairs which could store behind the back seats - haven't sat on one like that in a long time but I seem to remember them being more comfortable until they collapse and fold up with you inside!

What do you use?
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Camping chairs

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:08 am

http://www.befurnituresales.co.uk/besal ... e-313.html

I got eight of these as they're very robust and stack really flat - I think you're after something more "loungey", though...?
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:45 am

I sympathise! GoOutdoors has a big selection to browse for ideas.
I guess you are wondering about this type (colour aside!) http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-tra ... ir-p321954

We use the flat folding chairs because they are easier for my wife to get out of. They vary hugely in comfort and quality. Have to try before buying. We ring the changes a bit. If going away to pitch at a site for several days we lounge around in bulkier reclining chairs. But if doing minimum faff overnight stops where we cant or don't want to unpack the van for sleeping then we take light compact chairs (like the purple one linked above). One common theme though, they are all the flat folding style, unique amongst our friends who prefer the chairs that fold into a bag.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Went and had a look at some today.

Couldn't find any that fold up into a bag that felt comfy.

Found some cheapy folding ones like the link above - they were 2 for £12. I sat on one at felt like I had to sit carefully - you could see it stressing! I'm not overweight but I am 6'3.

The only decent ones we found were too big to store.

Then we got home and looking out into the garden realised the patio table chairs would do the job! They fold up nicely and are sturdy. So I'll steal a couple of those - if we need them out of the bongo - it won't exactly be far to fetch them!

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”