Dog guard

Pets like Bongos! Anything to do with dogs, cats and other Bongo animals, you can post here. But please keep photo sizes within limits.

Moderator: helen&tony

Bvan
Bongonaut

Dog guard

Post by Bvan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Anyone know of a suitable dog guard for the Bongo? We've got a Great Dane whose happy to climb over the seats grrr
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Dog guard

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:29 am

Hi
Take your Bongo down to Barjo...worth the trip...I have 2 of their guards in my Bongo...one front and one rear.
They may still have the pattern from "Flossie's" Bongo...'phone and ask.
http://www.barjo.co.uk/dog-guards
I've had them in 2 vehicles, now, and they don't come any stronger!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:46 am

What about a dog seat belt instead
Safer
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi
Barjo guards are bolted in, and safe as a cage bolted in...Barjos and the equivalent makes are used by those who transport animals, security and police forces. The animals are confined and aren't liable to injury, plus they can't escape from a rear hatch springing in the event of a shunt (hatches quite often pop open in a shunt), if you have front and rear guards
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:16 pm

But guards would get in the way when camping in bongo
And the dog is not going far or gona escaped in a crash with a dog seat belt on
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi
I'm only stating what those who handle dogs use...it's up to people to make their own minds up. I used to have a few contacts in the RAF dog handlers, police dog handlers, and Tony trained police dogs in Holland for 10 years...As for camping, they're perfect...I sleep up top, Tony in the awning, and we take turns...
Cheers'
Helen
Bvan
Bongonaut

Post by Bvan » Wed May 06, 2015 12:21 am

Thanks all, he's a 60kg Great Dane with a lot of growing left. Don't want him on seats and belt out of the question. Think I might have to make up a non permanent guard.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 06, 2015 3:53 am

Hi
Ah...whilst the Barjo guards are fixed, they do come out easily with wing-nuts. I have had mine re-made a bit so that the front one comes out in 2 pieces. The beauty of a rear guard is being able to leave the rear door open on a hot day...Take the front guard out, and leave the rear one in when camping...leave the back one bolted, and the hatch open...Bonzo can't do a runner, and Bongo is safe from unwanted attention...the 2 German Shepherds WILL bite, and the Loafer just lays down....(She was a Lurcher, but she's old now)
Cheers
Helen
AscendingStar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AscendingStar » Tue May 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Helen I'm thinking of getting the Barjo guards but would love to see a picture of them in your van if you've got any.

Angela
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed May 20, 2015 4:19 am

Hi Angela
Mine have been modified by a local welder over here , but I'll get onto that for you and post pictures later today or tomorrow. You won't be disappointed with Barjo, and I've had 2 sets (front and rear) from them. There is another supplier as well, but I can't remember their name. They appear to be the only 2 in the country selling custom guards
Cheers
Helen
AscendingStar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AscendingStar » Wed May 20, 2015 1:10 pm

Thanks Helen :)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu May 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi Angela
Pictures as promised:

The guard at the rear has a door with padlocking bolts top & bottom (you can see one in the picture). As you see the guard, it has been modified over here to take the fold-up seats, as when I ordered the guards, the seats were removed. The front one (you can see it behind the other guard) was cut in half, and bars inserted to bolt it together , so that it can be removed when camping, and taken out in 2 halves, otherwise you have to remove the rear guard to take the front out, but by cutting it, it comes out in 2 pieces.
The guards are fixed in by bolts and wing nuts....there's room in the rear to house our 2 German shepherds, and the old lurcher sleeps on the middle bench (she's very old).
If you'd like more pictures and more information, feel free to ask!
Cheers
Helen
AscendingStar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AscendingStar » Thu May 21, 2015 3:15 pm

That's great thanks Helen given me something to think about as I want to leave all seats in situ and fit a removable kitchen unit behind the seats along with something to keep the dogs safe! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for them?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu May 21, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi
To be honest, I really forget, but I would suggest giving them a ring...they're very helpful....They don't do a version like mine, unless you go there...I traveled for quite a distance for the first set I had...really worth it , as they are very good. Member Flossie on here helped out in getting them....The post direct to here was pretty dear though...it will be better in the UK.
Cheers
Helen
AscendingStar
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by AscendingStar » Thu May 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks Helen :)

Return to “Bongo Furry!”