Any suggested 'eco' campsites?

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

karena
Supreme Being

Re: Any suggested 'eco' campsites?

Post by karena » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:54 pm

i find it most hard to take the wasting water thing seriousely in my green efforts i have water butts including one for grey water it seems a bit daft to do it - as ours comes out of a local spring and given our recent summers the overflow seems to be running down the road and into my house most of the time - though of course i would be more efficient if we ever get a drought as it is the only source for the whole village.
roger

Post by roger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Lindalove,
In the March edition of the MMM (Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly) magazine there is a free insert thingy, ...supplement? :lol: called "short breaks go green", your essential guide to green holidays. Lots of useful items including sites of varying levels of eco-friendliness. Also some tourist attractions eg Eden in Cornwall, Centre for Alternative Technology Wales. MMM costs £3.40 from any decent Newsagent, or seen them in WH Smith.
Muvwitch

Post by Muvwitch » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Deepdale does have solar power to the showers and recycling
bins . Wonderful beach walking for miles and an excellent walk
through fields and woods round the farm. We camped there
last year in March and had the lower field to ourselves. Sat
outside evenings with just we three females, the dog and a
drink.(yes, ok Franco, possibly more than one :roll: ) We
enjoyed it, and previously with other Bongoers. :D
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Although I haven't been looking for "eco campsites" but just having a little wander around the internet via google for somewhere to go not far from home but which feels a long way away I have just come across the fact that the Alan Rogers website has a section on eco-camping http://www.alanrogers.com/eco/

Haven't had a full read of everything but it maybe worth bookmarking as the list of campsites is likely to grow over the next few years no doubt.

Also Treloan campsite on the Roseland here in Cornwall mentions an eco-field in it's blurb on the website but doesn't elaborate. Haven't been there so can't comment - sounds like fun anyway ...

"Fire pit
We have built a fire pit in our eco-field where you can sit and enjoy a campfire and night-time social (Treloan is after all one of the friendliest of campsites!).

Storytellers and musicians often stay at the site so perhaps even bring your instruments. "

They appear to have a wedding field as well!!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
tricky

Post by tricky » Sun May 24, 2009 1:28 pm

lindalove wrote: THis is why they say they are greener -http://www.deepdalefarm.co.uk/environment/index.html - obviously can't vouch for it having never been there!

And well actually re bacon - there are a far few pig farms in that neck of the woods, including my uncles, so you never know it could have been caught locally! :D Maybe got lucky and escaped during the walk to the abbatoir...

PS Re Dolly, am a massive country fan, good choice for your wedding! My husband and I recently got married to Johnny Cash's Jackson ie "We got married in a fever...!"
their website wrote: ...the campsite has waterless urinals
I saw these in a motorway service station, loudly proclaiming their eco-credentials... They smelled of very stale urine with an over-whiff of very strong air freshener. I nearly puked.
lindalove
Bongonaut

Post by lindalove » Mon May 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi thanks will check out http://www.alanrogers.com/eco. I've seen his site recently, its pretty good.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:30 pm

tricky wrote:
lindalove wrote: THis is why they say they are greener -http://www.deepdalefarm.co.uk/environment/index.html - obviously can't vouch for it having never been there!

And well actually re bacon - there are a far few pig farms in that neck of the woods, including my uncles, so you never know it could have been caught locally! :D Maybe got lucky and escaped during the walk to the abbatoir...

PS Re Dolly, am a massive country fan, good choice for your wedding! My husband and I recently got married to Johnny Cash's Jackson ie "We got married in a fever...!"
their website wrote: ...the campsite has waterless urinals
I saw these in a motorway service station, loudly proclaiming their eco-credentials... They smelled of very stale urine with an over-whiff of very strong air freshener. I nearly puked.
Ones at Deepdale don't smell, but it wasn't hot when I was there 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
trevd01

Post by trevd01 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:23 pm

No electricity, no loos (public ones at very nearby car park), just a tap in a field @ £2 pp pn.

A really nice pub 2 minutes away.

Our idea of a Perfect Campsite.

Just us in our Murvi, a lone Bongo (from very near where we live as it happens), and one tent on Friday night - just us on Saturday night.

Anyone work out where it is?
Morag
Bongolier

Post by Morag » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 pm

Nope, but I want to go there!
muddypaws

Post by muddypaws » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi, we are going here at the end of the month! Not been before but can let you know what its like on our return! :D
bongomadness

Post by bongomadness » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 am

bongomadness

Post by bongomadness » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:44 am

And if you are really into eco and green enviroment why not try a weekend away combining it with this
http://www.big-green-gathering.com/index.php?pageid=82
I have never been but saw a programme about this on tv once and its all aimed at being greener.........
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 am

bongomadness wrote:And if you are really into eco and green enviroment why not try a weekend away combining it with this
I have never been but saw a programme about this on tv once and its all aimed at being greener.........
Have I missed something? From the website, it would appear that last year's was cancelled and there's some big legal wrangle going on. They may do something called Sunrise 2010 if they can sort out their court case.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
andyb36
Tribal Elder

Post by andyb36 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 pm

http://www.ecopodholidays.co.uk/new-house-farm/

you could try this one

we had a party there once for a charity event

no showers etc

and the toilet was eco alright

buckets under a made cuboard with wood rims

lol 2 next to each other

yep i dont think youll get more eco that that :lol:

yes they did have sawdust to sprinkle afterwards :lol:

i did have to go once, i sure did [-o< no one came in :oops: :lol:

andy
bongomadness

Post by bongomadness » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

And if you are really into eco and green enviroment why not try a weekend away combining it with this
Have I missed something? From the website, it would appear that last year's was cancelled and there's some big legal wrangle going on. They may do something called Sunrise 2010 if they can sort out their court case.

Oops i think i did allison . . . Maybe their sunrise event will be lucky to in ahead. Shame as it looked like a good eco event.

Return to “Campsites”