Yorkshire & Normandy

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Yorkshire & Normandy

Post by mikexgough » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Anyone know of good sites in Yorkshire?......her indoors gave me her 2011 Holiday dates today..... :roll: :roll: and wants a week in Yorkshire......either Whitsun or the Summer...... I fancy somewhere around Skipton but not set in stone.......

Happy for any of the 2 clubs sites to be recommended as in both or a private site.... But we want to book as soon as the 2011 dates are released.....the clubs do this in November or early December.... the early bird...

Normandy.......any recommended.....? not fussed if Coast or inland......
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
DE-OGZ

Re: Yorkshire & Normandy

Post by DE-OGZ » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:42 pm

cant go wrong with Honfleure in Normandy, it was our last stop on a recent mini tour. Site (site ts self is very average) is only a few hundred metres from the town and the very pretty old port and close to beaches as well.
Wakeybongo

Post by Wakeybongo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 pm

mikexgough wrote:Anyone know of good sites in Yorkshire?......her indoors gave me her 2011 Holiday dates today..... :roll: :roll: and wants a week in Yorkshire......either Whitsun or the Summer...... I fancy somewhere around Skipton but not set in stone.......

Happy for any of the 2 clubs sites to be recommended as in both or a private site.... But we want to book as soon as the 2011 dates are released.....the clubs do this in November or early December.... the early bird...

Normandy.......any recommended.....? not fussed if Coast or inland......
Hi mike,
yorkshires a big place, any area in particular your looking at, we've stayed at some really nice spots, but it's down to your requirements, we've got a three year old to entertain!!! So we generally want some kind of playground etc.
The dales are beautiful and there's lots of nice places over on the east coast too.
Ian.
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:20 pm

We've stopped at Le Brevedent a couple of times. Lovely site, great loaction. :D

http://www.campinglebrevedent.com/en/presentation.htm
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:27 pm

And we had a good time here (in 2004)

http://www.camping-cote-de-nacre.com/accueil-en.htm
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:22 am

Wakeybongo wrote:Hi mike,
yorkshires a big place, any area in particular your looking at, we've stayed at some really nice spots, but it's down to your requirements, we've got a three year old to entertain!!! So we generally want some kind of playground etc.
The dales are beautiful and there's lots of nice places over on the east coast too.
Ian.
I was fishing for folks likes and dislikes......there is us 2 plus a 12 yr old and a dog.....so we are flexible as to locations in Yorkshire......the obvious things around York come to mind as does "Heartbeat" country and the Holmfirth side. I do manage some walking although the arthritis gives the knees & legs have a hard time after a while, which is why I use the bike....low impact on my joints......Mt 12 yr old favours shopping.... :roll: so we try and have sometime for her and the dog likes to walk and run.....so a mix of things is good for us.....and Hazel likes waterfalls and NT, EH properties.......as for Camping sites......were CC & C&CC members ......

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:25 am

And a big thanks to the Normandy suggestions folks....... we will be discussing these this next week with a view to book the 2011 dates as soon as possible.....

dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 am

We only stopped for an afternoon, but Hornfleure is very pretty.

Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Technically, it's in Brittany but the Camping Municipal La Hallerais near Dinan is very nice http://www.camping-lahallerais.com/index.html. The Caravan Club have it on their website too http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-y ... -hallerais

Dinan is a belter of a town (in my opinion) and is not far from St Malo, either. Not quite Normandy, I know, but right next to it!!! Have stayed at Honfleur (equally lovely). I'm racking my brains to remember where I stayed when I visited the Normandy landing beaches/WW2 museums because that was a while back (been back since and didn't camp). Only ever stayed at municipal sites though, I remember that much!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:14 pm

The Peace Museum in Caen is well worth a visit and of course Bayeux for the tapestry is not too far away.
Pete & Sue
Tribal Elder

Post by Pete & Sue » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Pete & Sue

Turned out nice again!
Mack
Bongolier

Post by Mack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:03 pm

We have camped (in tents) a lot in Normandy and most towns have municiple sites as well as private ones. Bayeux has a wonderful municiple site, near the railway station where they deliver fresh bread each morning and a favourite of ours is right on the beach at Donville, which faces west and has stunning sunsets. The much more fashionable Granville is a 20 min walk away.
maxmataz
Bongolier

Post by maxmataz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:44 pm

loved Dinan - a lovely town. Sorry not camped in either location yet !
karena
Supreme Being

Post by karena » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:50 pm

http://www.masonscampsite.co.uk/Welcome_.html probably about the best site near Skipton the dog will be fine (usual dog rules apply) i dont think theres swings etc but at 12 your daughter is probably beyond that.The river at the bottom of the site is lovely and safe for paddling etc except when we have floods - there are several stretches of the river where you can walk a decent distance on reasonably flat ground.
Both the village pubs have at the moment got good reputations this is the nearest http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/ but you have to walk up a fairly steep hill to get too them from the campsite -shopping might be a problem Skipton has a new look but little else for a 12 year old - castle and barge trips is about it- There are plenty of waterfalls.
Given your legs cycling and shopping it might be better to head east from the dales where it is flatter - http://camping.forestholidays.co.uk/cam ... shire.aspx Cropton forest is lovely you can book wildlife events at the centre - we did a bat walk with detectors etc we stayed in the chalets there but people from the camp site said it was lovely. nearby dalby forset has mountain bike routes in abundance, York is within easy travel distance as is the coast - Whitby is really nice and a must visit for any self respecting goth the sea-life centre at scarborough is handy for that inevitable cold wet day and there is plenty of surfing to be had in the north bay.The campsites on the coast tend to be noisy and full on entertaiment centres ok for the 12 year old but have all the extra pocket money to hand which is why being from yorkshire we tend to keep away from them. :oops: castle howard (brideshead regurgitated) close by Helmsley museum of rural life interesting the only thing i cant think of is a waterfall but i,m sure there,ll be one. There is a steam railway at pickering which goes across to whitby for a leg stress free look at heartbeat
country and the moors.
tessha

Post by tessha » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi, a good site in Yorkshire is Masons at Appletreewick, everything at hand, shop, good pub, good food and fabulous walks in the country.

Return to “Campsites”