dorset coast

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: dorset coast

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 03, 2011 4:20 pm

crazy uncle gray g wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I'm going all misty eyed reading about you two going there. I'll have to return there one day. I was so very lucky in that my Mum bought an old wreck of a stone cottage in Acton, Blacklands, Nr. Langton Matravers in 1973 for £1800, and I used to go and stay there with me misbehaved mates, do work on it so I could stay free, and fly model gliders all around the area. And we could walk from the cottage along the Priests Way to the wonderfully eccentric Square and Compass of a sunny evening.
:shock: Mike, you wouldn't believe it if I told you where I was staying #-o

Image :D
Looks suspiciously familiar - I've PM'd you Crazy
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Thu May 05, 2011 8:17 am

I've booked in at Downham Farm, Eype (lower field) for the BH weekend coming. Long walk up the hill to the facilities but that doesn't bother me. Near the coastal path, beach and a pub!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
nicstrike
Tribal Elder

Post by nicstrike » Thu May 05, 2011 8:03 pm

pub! thats the vital ingredient. plenty of ideas so far for us. just realised how close bovington tank museum is to lulworth too. cant beat a bit of war iron!!
richieb
Bongonaut

Post by richieb » Thu May 05, 2011 8:15 pm

hello, i went to seatown, easter weekend, golden cap campsite, faciltities were ok, but theres no clubhouse on the site, i went there over 20 years ago when my kids were young, i didnt mind there being no club house, theres a pub just a short walk away near the beach the anchor inn , the food is very pub grubish but the beer seemed ok, a really nice walk over golden cap to charmouth, but really steep at parts, thought i was going to have a heart attack, smoked 40 cigs a day for the last 40 years !!!!, back to the point, the good thing about the sitewith no clubhouse is although the site was really full when we where there, by 9 pm it was very quiet and peacefull , ive read lots of reviews about the sites at charmouth, and they all complain about the noise from the main road at night, which runs behind both sites, think its the A34 , anyway hope this helps
Bongotrix

Post by Bongotrix » Tue May 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Time to go all Nuts in May with the Corfe Castle campsite - I stayed there @ 17 years ago and it was great - looks pretty much the same now but it does come under the Camping and Caravanning Club banner. What would Keith and Candice Marie say...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Bongotrix wrote:Time to go all Nuts in May with the Corfe Castle campsite - I stayed there @ 17 years ago and it was great - looks pretty much the same now but it does come under the Camping and Caravanning Club banner. What would Keith and Candice Marie say...
They'd say, as you pulled up in your Bongo "What's that - it's certainly not a VW Devon"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love Mike Leigh 8)
Muvwitch

Post by Muvwitch » Fri May 27, 2011 2:29 pm

Eype is a lovely little place, and the coast walks breathtaking.
But the drive through the lane to get there :shock: I'd rather
walk. But worth it though :D
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:34 pm

Muvwitch wrote:Eype is a lovely little place, and the coast walks breathtaking.
I used to have to drive a 7 tonne lorry around those lanes delivering fruit & veg (many years ago :wink: ) great fun, especially in the summer with all the grockles & shed draggers not used to narrow country lanes :lol:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri May 27, 2011 2:41 pm

missfixit70 wrote:
I used to have to drive a 7 tonne lorry around those lanes delivering fruit & veg (many years ago :wink: ) great fun, especially in the summer with all the grockles & shed draggers not used to narrow country lanes :lol:
..so whatever you do Bongo trippers, avoid the Weymouth area :lol:
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Fri May 27, 2011 2:42 pm

I've often wondered how they managed to get those statics down that lane to get them on site.
Two tonne tin drum
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:48 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:
missfixit70 wrote:
..so whatever you do Bongo trippers, avoid the Weymouth area :lol:
With the atrocious roadworks etc (all designed to improve the Olympics access :roll: ) I'd avoid Weymouth altogether this year :evil: New road in from Dorchester is better though, no more artics/static transporters getting stuck under the railway bridge at Upwey 8)
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Campsites”