Guide to N Yorkshire?

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Bongisland

Guide to N Yorkshire?

Post by Bongisland » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:56 am

We're heading off from Fife for 10 days, hoping to cover bits of Yorkshire we missed last year. Breaking the journey at Durham, then on for a look at Whitby. Then sort of circling round to the west. Places we'd like to see: Castle Howard, Fountains Abbey, Knaresborough, Malham ,Keld, poss finishing up at Tan Hill. We're CC members, but tend to prefer less regimented sites. Two old codgers and a docile dog, like a bit of walking, a bit of fishing and generally just moseying around. We've looked at sites online but any suggestions would be very welcome. Ta!
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Guide to N Yorkshire?

Post by mikexgough » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:41 am

If you are touring..... you won't go wrong with the C&CC Boroughbridge site.... just off the A1 plus as your going to Knaresborough....the CC site is good too....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:31 am

At Malham you've got to stay at the Gordale Scar campsite (01729 830333, BD23 4DL) cheap and in a stunning location. It's an odd site with a proprietor to match but it's good.

At Tan Hill, you can stay at the Tan Hill Inn for free (there's no campsite but you can park your van there) and if the immediate area is full there's a clearing about 300yds east with more space. They have Black Sheep Riggwelter on draught so you need to be within staggering distance :lol:
Bongisland

Post by Bongisland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for the helpful and encouraging suggestions. Our itinerary seems to be taking shape, I'll report back when it's all over!
Linda
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:29 pm

You're not the Bongonaut we met at Leven and at Blairgowrie two years ago?

While you're in that neck of the woods I'd try to get to Jervaulx abbey, Rievaulx abbey and Gisborough priory too. A few of these splendid Yorkshire abbeys will be the subject of a forthcoming tour :roll:

For food in the area, Thompson's fish & chips on the outskirts of York (on the A64 to the east of the city centre, YO32 9TW) is brilliant, restaurant and takeaway. I'd also do Skipton for the castle and then lunch at Bizzie's in the main High St carpark, BD23 1ED. Brimham Rocks is worth a visit, amazing rock formations and then go past the Menwith Hill eavesdropping centre on the A59 to the west of Harrogate. In Masham there's two breweries worth looking up, the original Theakston's place and then one Paul Theakston set up once he left - the Black Sheep brewery, aptly named.

There's loads to see and do, any more info you need let me know. :wink:

Team Muz
Bongisland

Post by Bongisland » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Muz,
Yep, that's us. I know you as a much-admired planner and chronicler of tours, so your comments are appreciated. Here's how it's looking at the moment:

Durham, for a break and visit to the Cathedral etc, usually just glimpsed form the train,
Whitby, out of curiosity, I've just got Dracula out of the library,
Castle Howard, cos it looks like quite a glam location for a campsite and we've never been,
Knaresborough cos it looks interesting,
Pateley Bridge (2 nights) for fishing opportunities and to visit Fountains Abbey, Brimham Rocks and such
Malham, cos it looks spectacular
Hawes, cos it was so busy on market day last year that we couldn't get parked
Keld, cos it looks cool,
Tan Hill, as a grand finale, and 3rd wedding anniversary

Last Sept we went to Settle (lovely), Skipton where we went on the canal boat under the castle, then we couldn't go east as planned because of a landslide, so went up by Bolton Abbey to Aysgarth (see above), tried to go on to Dent, but that road was closed too, so ended up in Kirkby Stephen.
So, although I've been planning and booking ahead, I've no real confidence that it will all work out.
Been to York before, and will again, but this is intended to cover new territory.
I love the idea of an abbey-themed trip but I'm not sure how many Paul will fancy - maybe if there are adjacent fishponds?

So, thanks for your patience if you've got this far......

Linda

Return to “Campsites”