Caravan Club...

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

TerryG
Bongolier

Caravan Club...

Post by TerryG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:26 pm

...or Camping and Caravan Club:
Was wondering about signing up to one or the other of these. Are they worth joining, and if so which is best for Bongo owners?
'Enjoy every sandwich'
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Caravan Club...

Post by dave_aber » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:30 pm

+1. Pondering exactly the same thing myself.

I suppose it depends on what type of camping you are after, and in what parts of the country?
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 pm

We joined last year. Haven't yet used the campsites, but it's handy for insurance if you're van is fully converted and classified as a campervan :)
I love cheese!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Allegedly the Caravan Club has problems with Bongo's not fully converted, whilst the Camping & Caravan club doesn't.
We bought into both the first year (no problems joining with either), but found that we always ended up at the C&CC sites, so since then we have stayed with the C&CC. We travel around a lot of the time in the Summer, but try to miss out the School holidays and BH weekends and so far we have never been turned away from a site because its full, occasionally we haven't been able to get electric or hard standing but that's not a bother, and we never book in advance either just turn up and take a chance for one or two nights and then maybe extended for another couple of days.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Evil Edna
Bongolier

Post by Evil Edna » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:46 pm

We joined both 4 years ago when we first got the Bongo - Only did a year with the Caravan club - due to awful CL site! Still with Camping and Caravan club - nice club sites, very friendly staff & this year used their insurance £220 for a full conversion 8), which was a saving of a hundred from lifesure's quote, we also got a very good price on our house insurance! So its paid for itself this year and the previous three. Also the age concession for over 55s at the club sites makes it a cheap stay. Last time we were out, at Cardigan Bay, spoke to a lone camper he had paid £4.15 a night and was using the 5 for 7 nights offer = a week for just over 20 quid! - canny bloke!
Edna
Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Links to my blog
Triple/R
Supreme Being

Post by Triple/R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:51 pm

I've been a member of caravan club about 18 months with Bongo & caravan~~the problem is most people "block book" in Febuary (i think it is) they book as many sites as they can with no deposit then as the time comes,possibly day's before if the weather isn't right,they cancel cus they've got nothing to lose (money wise)

So if you don't do that you won't get in anywhere especially bank holiday's.
Another thing the sites are alright but we've been to some grubby ones & as for being cheaper that's not always the case.

The only reason i'm a member is for the breakdown cover with them,other than that i wouldn't bother cus most of the wardens are quite stroppy on some sites.
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
g4gxl
Bongonaut

Post by g4gxl » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:58 pm

I was wondering about this too - back in the days when I used to cycle-camp I found some really good club sites.

But 30 years on I have an unconverted Bongo with AFT and awning (bikes are rusting away in the garage).

I would prefer to book on fields as a 'car and tent' but am not sure if we would be turned away as wardens might class us as a motorhome. On the other hand, I have heard of some club sites having problems with unconverted Bongos booked on motorhome pitches :-k

Are most C&CC Club wardens OK with an unconverted Bongo in a 'tent' field ?
1996 4wd AFT 2.5l diesel, white over silver with Chargespeed body kit (and furry dice)
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:41 pm

Evil Edna wrote:We joined both 4 years ago when we first got the Bongo - Only did a year with the Caravan club - due to awful CL site! Still with Camping and Caravan club - nice club sites, very friendly staff & this year used their insurance £220 for a full conversion 8), which was a saving of a hundred from lifesure's quote, we also got a very good price on our house insurance! So its paid for itself this year and the previous three. Also the age concession for over 55s at the club sites makes it a cheap stay. Last time we were out, at Cardigan Bay, spoke to a lone camper he had paid £4.15 a night and was using the 5 for 7 nights offer = a week for just over 20 quid! - canny bloke!
:shock: I'm eligible for an age concession! The realisation that goes with that... :(

Seriously, it does look very good I will be looking into it. :)
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:00 pm

Caravan Club only allow converted bongos on their sites. so we went with C&CC
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:52 pm

The general views I've read tend to point out that the CARAVAN Club is just what it says on the box.

It's Wardens are generally known as Warders by many motorhomers who feel looked down on compared to "tuggers" and often given the worst choice of pitches etc.
Many seem only tend to stay with it to use the Certified Locations which are often more suited to self contained m/homes rather than caravans.

If you are not fully converted it is possible that you will be turned away from quite a few CC sites by the "Mr(s) Mackay" on the gate.
TerryG
Bongolier

Post by TerryG » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:55 pm

C&CC is definitely becoming more attractive.
And not just because of the Old Git concession! :D
Thanks for the advice, folks.
'Enjoy every sandwich'
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:22 pm

Coincidentally the same question has just been asked here.
http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-11 ... rasc-.html
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:44 pm

Just returned from Blackwall Plantation CC site near Carsington Water Ashbourne this being about the eighth Caravan Club site used this year with no issues and on one the warden was very interested in our Bongo as he's looking to buy one :wink:
We are NOT converted and use a Royal Traveller awning for all our cooking needs :wink:
Off to Southport CC site next week and can't wait :)

Would recommend CC over Camping and Caravan but that's just my opinion :)
Bongo no more........... ;-(
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:50 pm

i have to say the camping and carvaning club or for sorte c&cc we been with then for years now got to say we never stay on a culb site but there do look good but we use there temp hoilday site in the mian or high season as it a lot cheaper and some great places to stay we also used the certificated site when we do a bit of touring
take it easy drive a bongo
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Been a member of the C and CC for 7 years,and the CC club for 5.

C and CC club get my vote as the best and it lives up to its nickname of "the friendly club"

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"

Return to “Campsites”