Dover

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

BrightonBongo

Dover

Post by BrightonBongo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Whilst neither Betsy nor Bob (our first and current Bongos) are strangers to ferries or France, I wanted to try cycle touring for the first time. To get the most out of a long weekend i went from work on Thursday in the Bongo to Dover and spent the night there so I could cycle to the ferry for an early crossing. Now I could have paid out for B&B and "airport parking" at the port but I phoned the 24hr Tesco at the White Cliffs retail park instead. The manager listened to my cheeky tale and agreed I could wild-camp in their car park Thursday and park till Monday but said he was glad I had phoned because any vehicle on CCTV for more than 5 hours gets a fine. I checked in with their security guys on arrival and could use the facilities at any time of the night. I bought a few bits and pieces, though I cycled off before the cafe opened. I won't be doing it again though; the supermarket is a long way above sea level and the ride back up with 4 full panniers with all my camping gear was the worst climb of the trip! I can't guarantee that anyone else will get the same favourable response and there are other options for overnight stops near Dover but I thought I'd share my story.
Hobbsy

Re: Dover

Post by Hobbsy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Great success! =D>

Return to “Campsites”