Youth Hostels and Bongo camping

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

wandandy

Youth Hostels and Bongo camping

Post by wandandy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:43 am

Hi everyone. Has anyone camped in a Youth Hostel grounds? Many now allow camping in their grounds and use of their facilities. This, I believe, costing around £15 per night. This sounds like great value as you get the great atmosphere and facitiies of chield friendly YHA in addition to the Bongo camping. However, I susect many of these hostels don't allow vehicles on their camping grounds....it's a question of parking in the car park and camping in their field. Anyone with any tips or experience about this?

Andy
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Re: Youth Hostels and Bongo camping

Post by Alison01326 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:59 pm

It's probably better to contact the hostels direct to enquire on this one, as in the past I have been to a few which offer camping but have never noticed any vehicular access to the camping area (I didn't camp - I stayed in the hostel itself).

If you want good value, join the Camping & Caravanning Club and stay on their Certified Sites. They are often no more than farmers' fields with a tap and a toilet disposal point, but can also be "proper" campsites with loos, showers and electric hookup. Some are advertised as being particularly suitable for children with perhaps a swing or other play equipment, or on a farm with animals to feed. Prices can be as low as £4 or £5 per night but I'd say an average is about £10 - £15 for a family.
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)

Return to “Campsites”