Ireland

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

umbongocat
Supreme Being

Ireland

Post by umbongocat » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 pm

We're planning a trip to Ireland on the 27th December for 5 to 6 nights. Would like to drive from Dublin to around Limerick and then down to the National Park and mountains and back up through Cork on our way back. Anyone any experience of bongoing in Ireland and recommendations of campsites that are open all year ? :)
I love cheese!
JDS
Bongolier

Re: Ireland

Post by JDS » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi Cat

Found this on another forum it may help

In the August Edition of Newsletter 275.David & Betty 9th June For those unfortunate to have missed the Newsletter, I can brieflygive a brief rundown on "Safe Nights Ireland"
Basicallly acouple called Frank and Helen Ryan and new members find people who will allow them to park on their property for 10 euro per night. At their time of writing there were around 150 sites.
NO Cl type sites in Southern Ireland but the Caravan club have around 30. The Camping & Caravanning Club have only around 12.
The sum of 10 euro is a bargain as normal site fees are a rip-off. (this according to comments on the net) plus own experiences. So look up the lGoogle site Safe Nights Ireland.com and read all about it.
Happy Motoring George Harrison
Dave & Jeanette
Auto-sleeper Broadway EL Duo Motorhome (A very overgrown Bongo)
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:55 am

JDS wrote:Hi Cat

Found this on another forum it may help

In the August Edition of Newsletter 275.David & Betty 9th June For those unfortunate to have missed the Newsletter, I can brieflygive a brief rundown on "Safe Nights Ireland"
Basicallly acouple called Frank and Helen Ryan and new members find people who will allow them to park on their property for 10 euro per night. At their time of writing there were around 150 sites.
NO Cl type sites in Southern Ireland but the Caravan club have around 30. The Camping & Caravanning Club have only around 12.
The sum of 10 euro is a bargain as normal site fees are a rip-off. (this according to comments on the net) plus own experiences. So look up the lGoogle site Safe Nights Ireland.com and read all about it.
Happy Motoring George Harrison
Thanks Dave :) I'll look it up tonight :)
I love cheese!
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:14 am

:D Hi Cat,

Kerry, Scully and I toured the whole of the coast of Ireland for a fortnight and only ever stopped for 3 nights at 3 official sites and that was only to recharge batteries and take a warm shower, the place is fanatastic for wild camping and no one bats an eyelid, some of our overnight spots where just stunning.
If you would like any more info just shout 8)
Take a gander if you like :arrow:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/ ... ff8418.pbw :D
cheers! party on dudes.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:29 pm

crazy uncle gray g wrote::D Hi Cat,

Kerry, Scully and I toured the whole of the coast of Ireland for a fortnight and only ever stopped for 3 nights at 3 official sites and that was only to recharge batteries and take a warm shower, the place is fanatastic for wild camping and no one bats an eyelid, some of our overnight spots where just stunning.
If you would like any more info just shout 8)
Take a gander if you like :arrow:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/ ... ff8418.pbw :D
Thanks :) I've sent you a PM. We only have 6 nights all together in Ireland.. wish we could have taken two weeks
I love cheese!
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

umbongocat,
if you are coming from London why not do the M4 to Fishguard and get the ferry to Rosslare lovely drive.
spent a month around Ireland back in the late 80's and wild camped everywhere.
drive the ring of Kerry, Blarney and Bantry bay great place to go, have fun and don't forget the photos :D
Keep the Faith

umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:18 pm

maxheadroom wrote:umbongocat,
if you are coming from London why not do the M4 to Fishguard and get the ferry to Rosslare lovely drive.
spent a month around Ireland back in the late 80's and wild camped everywhere.
drive the ring of Kerry, Blarney and Bantry bay great place to go, have fun and don't forget the photos :D
We're booked on the Holy Head to Dublin Ferry as we're visiting Debs on our way to and back from Ireland. Will look at Kerry, Blarney and Bantry Bay on the map and see if it fits in on our route. We were thinking of Galway down to Kilarney then have to head back to Cork to visit friends before we head back to dublin :)
I love cheese!

Return to “Campsites”